Getting killed isn't as easy as it looks.Short Time is a 1990 comedy action movie starring Dabney Coleman and Matt Frewer.Burt Simpson (Coleman) is an extremely risk conscious cop whose constant worrying about the future makes him unable to enjoy the present, which has strained his relationship with his wife and young son. That changes drastically when he goes to a routine check-up and a bus driver secretly swaps Burt's results with his own in order to hide his recent use of marijuana. Unfortunately, said bus driver turns out to suffer from a terminal illness and thus Burt is told he only has two weeks to live. While Burt is obviously upset, his main concern is his son, since Burt's dream is that he one day attends Harvard and he finds that his regular life insurance will only pay a rather small amount. His police officer's insurance is much higher though......unfortunately, said insurance only covers "professional damage" i.e. dying in the line of duty. Oh, and did we mention Burt only has a few days left until retirement? Hilarity Ensues as Burt becomes a reckless supercop, much to the confusion of those around him, especially his partner Ernie (Frewer).
This film contains examples of:
- Badass Driver: Burt becomes one. Justified because he has got little to lose. Also, the driver of the car he chases.
- California Doubling: Inverted. The story is set somewhere in Southern California but most of the film was shot in Canada.
- Drives Like Crazy: In a high speed chase, Burt overtakes all police cars during a regular chase, has his car rammed and riddled with bullets, rolls it over, still drives on in all-out kamikaze mode and finally "wins" the chase by having the gangsters T-bone his car at full throttle.
- Lemming Cops: Burt's attempts to get killed result in him becoming this.
- Like You Were Dying: Between his attempts at suicide, Burt manages to reconnect with his family and fulfill his dream of getting a classic Mustang.
- Mistaken for Badass: Burt wants to die in the line of duty, but luck keeping him constantly alive regardless of how insane his stunts become have him getting praise from his fellow officers as a devil-may-care Super Cop.
- Mistaken for Dying: Because of a mix-up of a blood test, Burt believes he has only a few more days to live.
- Retirony: Deconstructed. After learning of his "condition," Burt is intentionally trying to invoke this, and ultimately fails. At the start of the movie, though, he's going out of his way to avoid danger because he's so close to retirement.
- Springtime for Hitler: Burt constantly attempts to get killed by his reckless actions but keeps unexpectedly succeeding and getting commendations.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Sandwich: Justified when Burt drives off without his snack in hot pursuit of some crooks. Ernie's reaction is perfect, though:"Burt! ...Your yogurt!!"