Film: Girls Just Want to Have Fun
A 1985 teen film about a girl name Janey, who just moved to Chicago, which is the location of her favorite show, Dance TV, which she dreams of being on. Well it turns out there is a contest for just that, and a potential boyfriend as her partner, but she also has to both beat The Rival
, Natalie Sands, and win the approval of her father.
This film didn't have much star power (despite the Retroactive Recognition
), and didn't make back its moderate budget. Yet that also allowed it to be aired on cable for very little, thus several channels would keep airing this movie, giving it a cult status.
It was also some Paying Their Dues
roles for several actors, including Sarah Jessica Parker
, Helen Hunt
, Shannen Doherty
, and Jonathan Silverman
Provides Examples Of:
- Avoid the Dreaded G Rating: Drew tricks a girl into letting him touch her breasts. This is about the only dirty thing in the movie.
- Bait and Switch: It looks like Natalie won the contest, but it was a tie, and there is now a tiebreaker round.
- Bare Your Midriff: Jeff sports one in the finale.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Jeff is told by Mr. Sands that he could fire Jeff's dad if he doesn't drop out of the contest.
- Catholic School Girls Rule: Discussed Trope. Jeff's friends assume Janey is easy, being a catholic schoolgirl.
- Cover Version: For whatever reason, the filmmakers could't get the rights to the original song, so a cover was made.
- Dad the Veteran: Janey's father.
- Dance of Romance: Janey and Jeff.
- The Eighties: This movie makes practically an Unintentional Period Piece.
- '80s Hair: Lynne's hair gets progressively bigger as the movie goes on. Natalie comes a close second with her frizzy locks.
- The Fashionista: Lynne, in the most Eighties way possible.
- Fixing The Game: Natalie attempts to do this in the contest. she fails.
- Fourth Wall Psych: After watching her party get trashed a furious Natalie turns, looks directly into the camera and declares: "This means war"... the next shot establishes she's actually talking to Janey and Lynne.
- Fur and Loathing: Natalie shows up to the first auditions wearing a white rabbit fur coat◊ (although it's real fur, so could also be Pretty in Mink).
- Happy Ending: Janey wins the contest, she and Jeff are dating, Lynne also gets on the show, and Janey's dad is proud of her (after Drew talks him into accepting what she's doing).
- Karmic Trickster: Lynne - turning a debutante ball into a punk rave ect.
- Little Miss Snarker: Maggie, Jeff's little sister.
- Nice Hat: Lynne once wears a beret with a large plastic grasshopper on it.
- Nuns Are Funny: especially when they do gymnastics. And try to use crosses for whistles.
- Overprotective Dad: Janey's dad, who doesn't like her to do anything outside the house after school. Has a turn So Proud of You moment in the finale, after seeing Janey dance.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Natalie's outfit at the finals is a designer dress, which she tells the show staff.
- Pink Product Ploy: Later VHS and DVD releases of the film are mostly pink on the covers.
- Rich Bitch: Natalie
- Manipulative Bitch: Natalie.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Janey has an unfortunately limited wardrobe in the movie up until the finale/ Actually mentioned several times by Fashionista Lynne.
- Sore Loser: Natalie is not happy about losing.
- Spoiled Brat: Natalie, who all but has her father whipped (until the end).
- Rebellious Spirit: Lynne, who prefers singing Proud Mary instead of Hail Mary at prayer time.
- The Rival: Natalie to Janey.
- Titled After the Song: After the Cyndi Lauper song.
- You Are Grounded: Janey's father does that, so she and Lynne can have a Moment Of Awesome sneaking out to the final contest.