Fanfic Recs: Spider-Man
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth fighting the Green Goblin for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Spider-Man fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Identity Crisis by jjonahjameson
Polarity by Chris Myers
Sing Us A Song, You're The Stilt-Man! by Chris Myers
Spider-Man Crawl Space by Kevin Cushing
TSA: The Amazing Spider-Man: Vol 1, Vol 2 By Nomad88
Secret Warrior: SpiderMan by Nomad88
SpiderMan's Guide to Superheroics by paycheckgurl
Diary of the Wife of Spider-Man by spidermanwife
ZeroBen's Amazing SpiderMan by ZeroBen
Spiderman Rebirth: Genesis by MarvelHero1610
Breaking The Deal by NKSCF
"Spider-Man: Evolution" by L-Dog Z
"Spider-Man Chronicles Volume One: Origins" by megamatt09
WEBSLINGER: Spectacular Spider-Man by SevRez
Spider-Man: Origin of the Species by Weskron
Freeze-Frame by htbthomas
Everybody Loves Spidey By Maximus- Reborn
Spiders And Magic Rise Of Spider Mane by Maximus_Reborn
Variant Strain by scriviner
The League of Interdimensional Heroes by The 1597 Faceless Writer
Origin Story by jjonahjameson
Seven Ages of Man by Salomonderiel
SHIELD Investigation by Wednesday0991
It's My Problem by Namikaze Artemis
The Mutant Problem by Katt
More Than Meets the Eye by The Writer with no Name
Spidey's Life is a Game! by Rebuke X 7
Authors and WebsitesFrivolousThoughts
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Comments: He makes one of the best Spider-Man/Young Justice crossover around, every one was in character and all his stories are well written.
- Recommended by Darkabomination
- Synopsis: Gwen Stacy is an anti-social young woman living with her best friend and roommate MJ. Deciding to fight crime in following her deceased father's memory as much as an opportunity to get out of the house and socialize a bit, she's content with beating up petty thugs until a bank robbery puts her up against a mysterious man going by the Shocker, giving her the first big challenge of her career. Soon she finds herself the target of gangsters looking like they came out of the thirties led by their leader only known as "the Don". With a number of superpowered criminals on the loose and a growing conspiracy involving a wealthy woman and the sudden reappearance of her childhood friend harry, Gwen finds herself in the midst of a decades-long plot tied with the legacy and mysterious murder of her father.
- Comments: An alternate version of Spider-Gwen that takes the basic premise of Gwen Stacy being bitten by the spider and goes off in its own direction. A promising story that takes a unique approach with the concept, departing from the comics in many ways. This take has Gwen with a dose of Peter's street smarts and sarcasm, with enough tomboy traits to make her her own character. With a Peter parker very much alive and without powers of his own, the fic sees a twist to their relationship with his science and hacking skills from the Amazing movies brought into focus. As the title would suggest, a lot of inspiration is derived from the modern update, but takes cues from the Animated Series and an extensive knowledge of the main comics. Many major characters and villains are reimagined and given new origins, but have the traits that make them recognizable. All in all, a new series that looks to be making many changes to the formula while keeping to the spirit of what makes a Spider-Man story. Consistently updates every month with decently-sized chapters.
- Recommended by Shay Guy, Looney Toons, Joysweeper, Jonn, alzbeta
- Synopsis: After rescuing a train from Doctor Octopus's attack, Peter Parker found himself unmasked and indebted to those he had just saved. Four months later, a train passenger again crosses paths with the young hero. Based on events from the film Spider-Man 2.
- Comments: 11,000 words of pure WAFFy goodness.
- Looney Toons: Seconded. Bigtime. This is a fine piece of work.
- Joysweeper: I wouldn't praise it quite that highly, but it was still a rather nice, sweet story, worth the read. ...I'm a bit sad that this was written in 2004 and the author had a note saying she was working on a new story which would be up in a month or so, yet this is her only story.
- Recommended by Glidergun, Jonn, alzbeta
- Synopsis: Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead. So how the hell did a traincar full of people keep a secret as big as Spider-Man's identity?
- Comments: Short, funny, and brilliant.
- Recommended by Windona, Stratagemini, Pygmalion
- Synopsis:When a Romero-style zombie outbreak hits, three supervillains, led by a long time loser, find themselves doing whatever it takes to save themselves, and eventually, the rest of humanity.
- Comments: Well written, a decent length, well thought out and well characterized with its moments.
- Very much in the Style of The Shocker: Legit. The fic is completed, and filled with Crowning Moment of Awesome. The Shocker rides the line between Anti-Hero and a wise cracking hero protagonist. A fun romp through the Marvel Universe for everyone. This does follow Comic Continuity, not Movie Continuity.
- Now has a tropes page.
- Recommended by Nitramy, Pygmalion
- Synopsis: Proof that the power of lip synced music, sung in crowded bars, can bring everyone together...
- Comments: A Slice of Life short revolving around Spider-Man's Rogue's Gallery. Stilt-Man gets lucky. Super villains discover the power of karaoke. Has an absolutely wonderful Crowning Moment of Funny at the end where they... oh, just read it!
- Recommended by Zarius
- Synopsis: Following the death of his Aunt May, Peter Parker peices together the horrifying deal he made with Mephisto and vows to put things right. Breaking the deal and reuniting with his wife Mary Jane, Peter resumes his usual mad-cap adventures, facing familiar faces in terrifying new forms, and coming face to face with a secret figure from his parent's past...
- Comments: One of the first "Fixfics" to come out of the post-One More Day/Brand New Day fallout, talented writer Kevin Cushing picks up the ball dropped at the end of JMS' run on ASM and carries it forward, opting not to neglect certain characters from the recent direction of the book (like Carlie Cooper), and managing to make them feel well-rounded and approachable to the reader. There's even an original character who's origin ties in well with another cold topic for Marvel: the history of Peter's parents, and the surprise return of a cult character from the 1990s is explained in brilliant detail and makes a lot of sense. The series went on hiatus in 2010, but Cushing has vowed to get it going again once his work load in real life settles down a bit.
- Recommended by Masterbow
- Synopsis: A different vision of the web-swinging hero, Peter Parker evolves into the role of Protector of New York as The Amazing Spider-Man.
- Comments: While the beginning of this saga is a little off putting, due to changes in the origin story, it quickly turns into a story with astonishing depth, containing elements from all the different versions of Spider-Man and doing them all justice. However it is in the second volume which at the moment is over 1 million words and growing that the author really comes into his own. The characters are perfectly portrayed and the action is well written and very engaging. The story is set in its own Marvel universe with appearances from Daredevil, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, the Avengers, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Heroes for Hire and the Marvel Knights, and will lead to full stories based on these other Marvel characters at a later date.
- Has its own page. TSA The Amazing Spider Man
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synopsis: Peter Parker is Nick Fury's Top Secret Super Spy. A story that spans across the Marvel Universe.
- Comments: This is a different take on the Spider-man Mythos and pretty much the whole Marvel U. Some of the same villains that we know and love will make an appearance but Nomad88 is trying his best to put a new spin on them to make them fit into this new Spider-man world he is creating. Unlike his other stories where he is pulling from comics, and T.V series, for this story he going to be pulling from the spy genre including every movie I've seen in my lifetime to every TV show. Everything from: James Bond to Jason Bourne, from Austin Powers to Archer, from Dark Angel to Alias, and my absolute favorite Spy Show….Burn Notice.
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synopsis: Exactly what it says on the tin. Spider-Man is tasked with creating a guidebook for new superoheros and this is the result.
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synopsis: "My name is Mary Jane Parker. I've got a lot to say and there are secrets that have been locked up for too long now. Let's start with this: I am the Wife of Spider-man." An autobiography of Mary Jane and her life with Peter Parker.
- Recommended by A Black Raptor
- Synopsis: As said by the story's summary: "Action-Packed Spider-Man Reboot taking place in my own Marvel Universe. At 16, Peter's got a lot on his plate. Toss in a spider-bite, some powers, new girl Mary Jane, best friend Harry Osborn, working with Doctor Connors, school, and the pain of mysteriously losing his parents at a young age. But, what seems random and chaotic, might end up being part of the plan all along."
- Comments: What can't be said about this alternate take on Spider-Man? Yes, it changes the origin quite a bit (for one thing, Uncle Ben lives, and Peter knows from the beginning about responsibility), and some characters aren't exactly perfect adaptations of themselves, but the story works well in spite of, or possibly because of, these. With turning minor villain Van Adder into a really important Anti-Villain, Norman into The Chessmaster without becoming Goblin first, making Blackie Drago THE Vulture, and a very big reimagining for Black Cat-no longer is she just a Fetish Fuel Station Attendant Classy Cat-Burglar, now she's a Punisher styled Anti-Hero-but the way it weaves arcs together and manages to really play with the subplot ball...Lets just say that Marvel should really think about hiring this guy some day.
- Recommended by Lykaios The Spartan
- Synopsis: Essentially a reimagining of Spider-Man's origin set in the author's Marvel Rebirth universe that currently spans three universes including Spider-Man, the story chronicles the origin of this universe's Spider-Man from his nerdy days, Uncle Ben's death and then his first encounters with villains. The summary on the site REALLY undersells the actual story.
- Comments: There are a lot of changes to Peter Parker's life, but I'd much rather you read them then I spoil it for you. I greatly enjoyed reading although the beginning chapters are rather short, the later ones get longer thankfully. It is a very different take on multiple characters that still feels like a Spider-Man story although it gets Darker and Edgier as well as delving into Bloodier and Gorier sections too. It's very good. Sadly, its sequel and the rest of the Marvel Rebirth universe appears to be on hiatus.
- Recommended by Milarqui
- Synopsis: When Peter and Mary Jane accepted the deal with Mephisto, they didn't know that it would make the demon far more powerful than anything else in the hell. So, when Doctor Strange informs Spider-Man of the damage this has caused on reality, Spider-Man must begin a travel to recover his life and rescue Mary Jane from Mephisto's claws, while fighting against his demon-controlled enemies...
- Comments: THE One More Day Fix Fic. It distillates awesomeness and fun in every chapter, and is a must read for every Spiderman fan that hated One More Day (which pretty much means everyone that likes Spider-Man...).
- Recommended by Miko122
- Synopsis Set in the same universe and time-frame of X-Men: Evolution, the story of Peter Parker is retold...again. Like most reboot fics, it starts from the spider bite and continues on how Peter becomes the web slinger he's known for, all the while joined by his friends and family, as well as some close allies.
- Comments Spider-Man Evolution is a fresh take on the Spider-Man mythos, and is a great reinterpretation of the characters of Spider-Man. Every character is done justice, with Daredevil and Moon Knight as main characters. The series stars many classic Spider-Man villains, including Vulture, Taskmaster, Scorpion, Tinkerer, Chameleon and other lesser known villains like Ricochet and Tolensky. Spider-Man Evolution isn't just a stand alone story, but builds into a bigger universe. The plots are compelling, the length is reasonable, and the dialogue is great. The plots are unique, and L-Dog Z does an interesting take on the character of Spider-Man.
- Recommended by lknmjh
- Synopsis Essentially based on the The Spectacular Spider-Man, though it does borrow elements from other universes, it is a retelling of the story of Peter Parker...like many other fan fictions out there. However, there is more to this story than meets the eye.
- Comments The first in a trilogy, this fanfic is unlike any other. There's action, comedy and even some really good and really intense drama. The fights are spectacular, and it really does borrow all the good elements from the other universes, tv shows, movies, animated shows and mythos. It's a great read if you're a fan of the Marvel Universe comics as a whole, but even if you're not a fan of the comics, it doesn't matter because it's written in such a manner that you don't need prior knowledge of them.
- Recommended by Tomulous
- Synopsis: Norman Osborn is believed dead. Spider-Man's reputation is in tatters. To make matters worse, Peter Parker is now a social pariah. Fighting a two-front war, NYC's young hero endures. Action and Drama, Romance and Rivalry, all spun together in the life of the Spectacular Spider-Man! A continuation of the "Spectacular Spider-Man" animated series.
- Comments: Though often a tad more 'adult' than the series would get, this is nonetheless the closest thing to a true continuation of The Spectacular Spider-Man any fan will get. Though currently only two 'episodes' have been completed, Sev Rez writes with an obvious understanding of the source material, and any fan of the short-lived animated series would do well to check this out.
- Recommended by The3raser
- Synopsis: Peter Parker is just your average teenaged nerd living in Queens who, after getting bitten by a radioactive spider at a school fair, becomes one of the greatest heroes ever known to man. But, in other, darker corners of New York, a jealous evil begins to stalk our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man as he learns that with great power, comes great responsibility. (AU, Gwen x Peter)
- Comments: This is a pretty heartwarming and real interpretation of Spider-Man. I legitimately cried at Chapter 7 and got teary eyed at a couple other parts. The villains chosen, the cameos that appear, and the overall buildup and structure of the story are masterful. It's not finished yet but the author updates regularly and he's definitely very passionate about the story, I expect it to be finished soon! My biggest criticism is that the dialogue can sometimes drag, but you get used to it. One of the best fanfics I've ever read so far. Seriously, this is worth a read. I highly recommend it.
- Recommeded by Paycheckgurl
- Pairing: Peter/various, but mainly Mary Jane
- Synopsis: While trying to set up a special photograph, Peter thinks back to some of the photos he has taken of the loves of his life.
- Comments: A truly wonderful, fluffy fic that is a shining of example of honoring other pairings and their merit to the mythos while still showing the love between Peter and MJ.
- Pairing: Peter/Various
- Synopsis: A series of one-shots featuring several of Marvel's finest women being paired up with Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man. With each chapter comes a different story and pairing
- Comments: A wonderful series with fics that range from fluffy to sweet to heartbreaking. The characterization is spot on and pairings never seem forced or overdone. A wonderful fic for light reading.
- Recommended by couchpotato
- Synopsis: Trouble is brewing, and Spider-Man is summoned to save the day! However, he takes the form of a pony upon his arrival and grows weaker by the day. With Discord returning in the near future, can Peter find his purpose in Equestria before it's too late?
- Comments: A crossover with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Twilight Sparkle uses her magic to summon Peter Parker to help defeat a dragon that's terrorizing Ponyville. He also gets a warning about the return of Discord from the dragon as soon it is defeated. Afterward, we find Peter trying to adjust to life in Equestria as a pony. It is extremely well written, and the author does an amazing job depicting the character's respective personalities accurately. It's full of action, comedy, and has its share of heartwarming moments as well. A must read for any fan of Spider-Man or My Little Pony.
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883, Tropers/Senevri
- Synopsis: Peter Parker was an ordinary teenager until two guys in military-style uniform and their mysterious hooded companion intruded and killed Uncle Ben. Peter's vengeance is swift and bloody as he... eats the hooded man? This isn't your average Spidey tale, for Peter is going to get... hungry.
- Comments: A Fusion Fic with [PROTOTYPE]. The fic is now also available on Fanfiction.net
- Recommended by: Nightelf37
- Synopsis: Artemis Fowl is many things and now he's the leader of an elite group including himself and seven other heroes from seven other alternate dimensions. This group is known as the League of Inter-Dimensional Heroes and they have sworn to protect their worlds from all types of evil. But, now, a new threat is forming and an inevitable battle is waiting over the horizon. Crosses over with Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), Kung Fu Panda, Sonic X, and Teen Titans.
- Recommended by jyshin2
- Synopsis: Crossover. Too bad there isn't a category called 'silly'...Spider-Man gets some help with his itchy suit and a costume designer gets a new career direction.
- Comments: A hilarious crossover with The Incredibles that honestly makes perfect sense.
- Recommended by Lucia Malpense
- Synopsis: Crossover with Avengers. He wasn’t entirely sure when he first met Richard, and when he asked about it for his Best Man speech a few years later – turns out, neither does Richard.
- Comments: A little short, but still very satisfying.
- Recommended by Lucia Malpense
- Synopsis: Crossover with Avengers. Phil Coulson is investigating the events in the Amazing Spider-man for SHIELD. Interrogating Curt Connors eventually leads him to discoveries he hadn't expected.
- Comments: One of the best SHIELD discovers Spider-Man fics out there. Very good writing. It unfortunately hasn't been updated since September 2012.
- Updated as of September 2013
- Recommended by Lucia Malpense.
- Synopsis: Crossover with Avengers. In which Peter is Tony's illegitimate child, and he's prepared to do anything to keep that a secret. Although, that doesn't stop him from trying to get Tony's approval. He is Peter's idol, after all.
- Comments: This fic is one of the rare gen superfamily fics out there. The author has a realistic take on the illegitimate son idea, and doesn't choose to rush things for the sake of fluff. Completed as of March 2013, with a sequel in progress.
- Recommended by Myrdschaem
- Synopsis: A week after Black Tuesday's telepathic attack on the world, Peter Parker took some pictures for a story on "the mutant problem." Ten years later, he's still taking pictures. The only difference is his definition of "the problem."
- Comments: Crossover with X-Men movies. This is the kind of photo journalism that gets awards in the real world. The beautiful cosplay makes it believable.
- Recommended by SAMAS
- Synopsis: Like many teenagers, the time has come for Peter Parker to get his first car. In his case, it's a beat-up yellow camaro that still runs like a dream. Unfortunately, said camaro is a lot more than it seems, (If the title didn't tell you already}, and an ancient war is about to find its way back to Earth...
- Comments: As you might expect, this is at it's base a retelling of Transformers with Ultimate Spidey in Sam's place. At the same time, it also borrows heavily from G1, with an expanded cast, and even having had the series take place in the eighties (An adult Spike/Sam appears as one of Peter's teachers).
- Recommended by cmcwiki
- Synopsis: Spider-man's life has never been easy, but what if one day a tournament began with stakes so high that it could mean the absolute destruction of the world as he knew it ? Watch as he and his two unlikely allies strive to reach the top!
- Comments: Marvel Versus Capcom 3 brings itself to life in this fic. Words can't describe. Author has requested trope page