Fanfic Recs: Axis Powers Hetalia Dark
The fanfic recommendations page
for Axis Powers Hetalia
grew so long that we had to split it into subpages. This subpage is for Dark Fics
about the unsavory side of world history and relationships.
You can add to the current recommendations if you want; please do remember that you need to use the template found here
and sign your rec for it to stay on the page. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Opening Heaven's Gates
universe (Opening Heaven's Gates, Untitled, Stand United, Prisoner and Paper Planes
) by multiple!Authors
The Clockwork Stranger
- Recommended by ranichi17
- Characters(s): Mostly America and Canada, but contains mentions of England, Russia, and Ukraine.
- Pairing(s): None, but has Ukraine/Canada if you squint
- Synopsis: This fic is based off the youtube video Aku no Maple which is in turn based off the mothy song series Story of Evil. Opening Heaven's Gates is a raw account of the aftermath of the execution, focusing on the sense of loss and confusion that the other nations feel as North America shuts down all communication. Untitled goes further, exploring just how far Alfred would go to avenge his brother. Stand United is something completely different, serving as a prequel to both fics. Prisoner and Paper Planes are based on the Vocaloid songs of the same title with Alfred and Matthew as Len and Rin respectively. It's set in the future where Alfred and Matthew are reborn as humans living in United Russia, in which Alfred is in a prison camp and Matthew is in the hospital. Both remember their past lives while meeting each other.
- Tags: Tear Jerker, violence, character death, mentions of torture in the concentration camps
by Hellie Ace
Under Skies Of Cornflower Blue
- Recommended by 1Kitty19
- Character(s): Mostly just America and England
- Pairing(s): USUK (though it's not until later, but Everyone Can See It )
- Synopsis: High School AU Arthur is an openly gay atheist art prodigy. Alfred is a homophobic jock who can't stand the sight of him. Arthur draws a demonic-looking symbol on the back of Alfred's hand. It was meant as a simple prank just to scare him and get back at the jock for being so cruel to him, but ends up accidentally summoning a demon that does him grievous harm!
- Tags: (according to the author): Explicit rape, gore, and violence. Homophobia and offensive terminology. Demonology, anti-religion, sacrilege, satanic worship and demon summoning. Flaying and animal abuse/cruelty. Extreme language, drug, tobacco, and alcohol abuse.
- Now with its own page!
All He Ever Wanted
- Reccomended by agentscia
- Character(s): Almost everyone, but mainly America, England, and Canada
- Synopsis: The morning of September 11, 2001 dawns clear and beautiful for America. It does not remain that way.
- Tags: Tribute, 9/11, tearjerker
by lindensphinx, mithrigil, and puella_nerdii (with pinstripesuit as Minister of Propaganda) all of Livejournal (quite a few chapters seem to be down or "access denied")
Recreate My Soul
- Recommended by Marionetta (yet again, sorry)
- Character(s): the main cast
- Synopsis: An Alternate History fic in which England never broke off his alliance with Japan, and America became communist.
- Tags: Rape
by Emo Vampire Chic
Seven Little Killers
- Recommended by LionDancer17
- Character(s): almost everyone
- Pairing(s): CanUkr, AmeBel, RusBel, and FrUk have so far been used.
- Synopsis: America is not all he makes himself out to be, in fact he has a dark secret, and when a mysterious women from his past starts turning up, he begins to change in to something none of the nations could have expected from this so called "hero".
by Lucky-Angel135, a joint account between luckystars135 and Fallen Angel Wings
- Recommended by Cheshire Grinne
- Character(s): everyone
- Synopsis: Nations are being murdered, and a group of mysterious masked killers is behind it. Their goal seems to be to plunge the world into chaos, but is it really? Who are these masked killers, and why are they really killing off nations?
- Tags: Slash, "explicit" violence, character death; in other words, a pretty Dark Fic
- ThatStalkerChick: I believe this fanfiction deserves its own page, so, low and behold, she made one.
Half a Millenium
- Recommended by Mipp
- Character(s): England, Oceania, India, special guest appearances by pretty much everyone remotely connected to the British Empire
- Synopsis: Crossover with George Orwell's 1984.
- Recommended by AkatsukiDaybreak
- Character(s)/Pairing(s): Japan/China (it's mostly onesided), onesided Korea/China, England/China (not that China's very happy about it), onesided Russia/China, and a few hints of others
- Synopsis: Focuses mainly on the relationship between China and Japan from their first meeting up until as far as today (the author doesn't have a set plan yet, but expects it to get that far) as well as their relationships with the other Asian nations and the West.
- Tags: Slash, sex as explicit as ff.net will allow, rape, drug use, violence
- Recommended by Mipp
- Character(s)/Pairing(s): Spain/Romano, Spain/Prussia, Spain/France, and alluded to Prussia/Russia
- Synopsis: Spain considers all the ways in which he is a liar, and in the process reveals some uncomfortable truths. A dark, expertly-written story with bite.
- Recommended by Peach_ Tea
- Character(s):: Mainly Canada and America but includes other nation-tans (Russia, England, France) and humans (that you need to read to see who they are).
- Synopsis: As the Soviet Red Army liberates Auschwitz-Birkenau (as World War Two draws to a close), Ivan discovers the brutality of the camps. As he looks through one of the buildings, he finds two familiar faces among the bodies.
- Tags: imagery of the Mengele twin experiments may be disturbing to some.
A Gift of the Heart
- Recommended by msq
- Character(s): America, England, France, Hungary, Prussia, Austria, Italy
- Pairing(s): some US/UK
- Synopsis: As the world plunged into chaos, the Nations vowed to find each other again in another life; among them was America and England. Centuries later in a bleak dieselpunk society, Alfred and Arthur find each other again in different circumstances. Unfortunately, the mysterious force that killed them the first time around may not be through with them yet...
A Castle of Silence and Bones
- Recommended by sluggyfan
- Character(s)/Pairing(s): Russia/Lithuania pairing; Every country part of the Soviet Union: Latvia; Estonia; Ukraine; Belarus; OCs: Georgia; Chechnya; The "Stans": Uzbek, Turkmen, Tajik, Kirghiz, Kazakh; Azerbaijan; Armenia; Afghanistan; Moldova
- Synopsis: A history of Imperial and Soviet Russia told from Lithuania's perspective. Follows history loosely, and doesn't shy away from Russia's poor treatment of his satellite states.
by Dreams of Destiny
An Endless Procession of Little Ones
- Recommended by RNA, seconded by Tina Banina 96
- Character(s)/Pairing(s): Japan/China with background humans, including the Empress Wanrong and Emperor Hirohito, and the Axis Powers.
- Synopsis: In a world where the Axis Powers won World War Two, a tale of political intrigue and desire unfolds at Akasaka Palace. China is a beautiful caged bird, a war prize to Japan, his people under the black umbrella of Imperial rule.
- Tags: China in drag, sex, rape
Creepy World Domination
- Recommended by Zefire.
- Character(s): So far Germany, England, and (North?) Korea are the most obvious, but Prussia, Denmark, and France also have a fair amount of screen time, Eventually, pretty much everyone.
- Synopsis: Twenty minutes into the future, the threat of Global Warming and the discovery of embodied nations has lead to National Engineering, an attempt to reduce the impact of climate change on various countries by experimenting on the nations that embody them. If that means locking them up like lab rats, so be it. Some nations have evaded capture through various means. Some have even forgotten who they are.
Just Another Brick in the Wall
- Recommended by Rain Krystal.
- Character(s)/Pairing(s): A Russia//America//Canada threesome, with mentions to Germany, France and England.
- Synopsis: America, Canada, and Russia take over the world. With love.
Pins and Needles
- Recommended by Amethystasheryn
- Character(s): Russia, Prussia, Germany, Italy; appearances by the Baltic nations
- Pairings: Russia/Prussia, Germany/Italy
- Synopsis: "It's funny, how one might define what punishment is." 1961-1989. Prussia is stuck in Russia's house after the erection of the Berlin Wall, chafing at his captivity and separation from his brother. Russia has a hidden agenda for keeping him there: He wants a child of his own. Prussia isn't sure he wants to refuse. Note: I didn't put this in the "shipping fics" section because while the relationship between Prussia and Russia is the focus, there is a lot more going on than that, with all the characters.
- Tags: M Preg, sex, violence
- Reccommended by Nani
- Character(s): America, Canada, Norway, Ivan, England (mentioned), Denmark. Human names are used.
- Synopsis: Alfred's guardian goes missing in the woods, so he goes after him. On the way, he meets a man named Ivan and tells him where he's headed. Little does he know that Ivan is a bzou, which is pretty much a werewolf. Basically, it's Little Red Riding Hood, with a dark twist.
by Verin Mystal
- Recommended by Msq
- Character(s): Just about everyone, including a number of OCs
- Pairing(s): Mainly America/Russia, America/Belarus and Canada/Ukraine, with a number of others.
- Tags: Sex, lots of violence
- Synopsis: America struggles to find solace after civilization crumbles in a post-apocalyptic world. Yet despite the horrors, he is not alone.
by Self-Titled Demo.
- Recommended by incomprehensiblesparks, seconded by Tina Banina 96
- Character(s): South Italy/Romano, Spain, Antonio(Alternate!Spain) North Italy and England along with quite a few others.
- Pairing(s): Spain/Romano, Germany/North Italy, Antonio/Lovino, Antonio/Romano, Ludwig/Feliciano.
- Synopsis: Spain is marked for reconstruction following a World War 3 scenario. Romano, already devastated by his 'death', is transported to an Alternate Universe where another man, Antonio, who is identical to the dissolved country, mistakes him for a long lost love.
- Tags: Mind Screw, death, angst. Your mileage will definitely vary with regards to whether the characters recieved a happy ending.
by Super Sister
Sold, to the Highest Bidder
- Recommended by ArlaGrey
- Character(s): England, America, Liechenstein, Japan, Germany, China, Canada... more by the chapter.
- Synopsis: All but seventeen nations have disappeared without a trace. Many years later, America meets a blind waiter called Arthur Kirkland, who has no memory beyond the past year of his life. As more amnesiac nations are discovered, what happened to them starts to come to light.
- Tags: Character deaths.
- Human Curiosity now has its own page.
(Un)Lucky Parts 1-17 Parts 18-32
- Recommended by DontQuestionIt
- Character(s): England, Prussia, America, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, Belgium, Hungary, Ukraine, Liechenstein, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Rome, Greece, Turkey, Cuba, and more to come....
- Pairing(s): Mostly rarepairs (besides fleeting glimpses of USUK and Franada), some of which are Ukraine/Liechtenstein, Russia/Estonia, Prussia/England, and Norway/Poland. The rest are a surprise.
- Synopsis: Sci-fi/steampunky AU (minor elements of both, probably more sci-fi than steampunk), where sexual slavery is legal. Nobody's really moral or immoral in this here space opera: England's a pirate stealing freefolk to sell them; the Nordics are gentleman thieves working to free them; Turkey and Greece are Federal Agents hot on both trails. France, Spain, the Italies, and Rome are slave bondsperson trainers of varying ethics; Hungary's the legislative power who somehow has to keep them in line. The Slavics are high-society slave-owners struggling to maintain a nascent empire; the Baltics (plus Poland) are revolutionaries struggling to try and bring it down. Plus, all your favourite sci-fi tropes: screwy alien biology! Multiple habitable worlds in the same solar system! Not explaining ever how their space travel works! Everyone's POV eventually.
- Tags: General creepy and off-screen non-con, because sex slave AU
- Sold To The Highest Bidder now has its own page.
, Parts 33-65
, Parts 66-94
What Has Been Lost
- Recommended by DontQuestionIt
- Character(s): Canada and America mainly, with several appearances by England, France, the Italies, Germany, Prussia, Japan, China, Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Korea
- Synopsis: A spin-off from the infamous Hetalia Kink Meme Fill known as the Financial Crisis Gangbang where the perpetrators mistake Canada for America at the worst possible time, and the aftermath that follows.
- Tags: Implied rape, character death
by Like Ebony and Ivory
- Recommended by SmokeAndBone
- Character(s): England, America, Greece, fem!Japan, more to come
- Pairing(s): USUK and Giripan at the moment, according to the author it will also feature PruCan, GerIta, Spamano, AusHun, possibly RoChu
- Synopsis: England made an unrevealed wish and now America and Japan are dead (lost).
by Namikaze Artemis
HetaOni: Final Loop
- Recommended by LuciaMalpense
- Character(s): Canada
- Synopsis: An interesting take on what happens when Nations take a mortal wound. One-shot, completed.
(complete) and the second act, Hetaoni: Recovery
- Recommended by cottoncandycloud, holderoftheheart
- Character(s): Nearly all of them
- Synopsis: A take on what would happen after the nations escape the mansion in Heta Oni, Italy died during the attempt, and everyone else is scrambling to find out what happened by reading Italy's journal.
(songfic) by PastaWar19
- Recommended by ArvidLabson3
- Character(s): Most of the European nations.
- Synopsis: One song (Europa by Globus) comes to unite and remind the European nations about the war and the bloodshed of different historical events that took place in Europe. Is the world really as peaceful as we think? Isn't now the perfect time for us to realize our mistakes?
The "Grey Skies" Universe
- Recommended by Aramisa
- Character(s): Most of the European nations, including many Balkan countries OC's.
- Synopsis: A retelling of the previous events of WWI, focussed on the Balkan's conflicts.
- Tags: blood and violence (obviously), but not done excessively.
(Grey Skies Over London
, Every Generation
) by GeminiStar01
Refusal To Fall
- Recommended by DianaCruz
- Character(s): England, America, Canada
- Synopsis: An alternate history starting with the usual "What if America lost the Revolutionary War?" question and taking it in a very Hetalia-esque direction.
- Tags: Alternate history, Tear Jerker, etc.
- Note: Someone made a kink meme request and here are the links to Lost Time. Parts 1-5, Parts 6-10, Parts 11++
- Recommended by Zelda Queen
- Character(s): Ukraine, Poland, Switzerland, Taiwan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Lithuania, and Canada
- Synopsis: A vast political movement known only as "The Empire" has absorbed many of the world's nations. Those remaining fight back.
- Tags: OC, Character death
- Recommended by Zelda Queen
- Character(s): Canada, America, and with a few mentions of England and France
- Synopsis: Canada is "killed" and buried alive by a serial killer. His only hope is for America to find him. But America doesn't even know he's missing...
- Tags: OC, violence, character death, implied rape and other murders
, by VioletzeEcoFreak
Serial Killer Serial Victim
- Recommended by Zelda Queen
- Character(s): Prussia, Russia, Seychelles, Canada, America, and England
- Synopsis: A fusion of Hetalia and the Vocaloid song "Alice Human Sacrifice"
- Tags: Original character, violence
, by Anonymous
The Truth Hurts
- Recommended by Zelda Queen
- Characters(s): England, America, Italy, Japan, Canada, references to real-life serial killers
- Synopsis: Nations live as both their serial killers and their victims
- Tags: allusions to violence, murders, and real-life killings
- Recommended by Brisbane24
- Character(s): South Korea, China, Japan, Lo-wah's OC North Korea
- Synopsis: Alternate history. Kim Jong-il is still alive and when a nuclear missle is fired at Japan it's pretty obvious who did it. Japan's thankfully saved by the attack but when his South Korea and China invite North Korea for what's basically a intervention they see that North Korea might need more help than they thought.
- Tags:OC, disturbing visuals, abuse, suggestions of Stockholm Syndrome, real life names of political leaders, and character death.
by Number One Fan of Journey
We All Fall Down
- Recommended by Obiwanlivesforever
- Character(s): Axis, Allies, Canada, Spain, Romano, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Baltics, Belarus, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Ukraine, Denmark
- Pairing(s): Unrequited Russia/Belarus and Belarus/Lithuania; very slight Austria/Hungary hinting
- Synopsis: The nations that bothered to come to this meeting leave the building afterwards to find themselves in a strange and unfamiliar place. Their only clue to escape is a note titled "The Rules". But The Rules involve them killing each other. And it even makes it sound like they won't always come back to life. The thing must be a joke... Right? (Author's summary) Has a sequel planned. TV Tropes page at TheRules
- Tags: Violence, gore, murder, suicide, insanity, extreme injury, character death, rotting corpses, disturbing visuals, cliffhanger, character eating a maggot.
- Recommended by MeiIsMe2
- Character(s): America, England, France, Spain, North and South Italy, Prussia, Japan, China, Canada. Mentions Hungary, Austria, Germany and the Holy Roman Empire.
- Pairing(s): Slight Italy/HRE
- Synopsis: Each nation remembers falling. Now they reflect on their past and watch for America's turn.
- Recommended by himapapaftw
- Characters: America, England, Canada, Russia, and some OC's
- Synopsis: (taken from the fic's summary) 15 years. 15 years since democracy fell, since a tyrannical government isolated America and took the nation hostage. 15 years since Alfred was stolen, forced to turn his back on everything. For Arthur, thatís 15 years too long. Time to go rabbit hunting.
The Weakest Link
- Recommended by Zefire
- Character(s): Poland, Canada, America have the most screentime, but many characters make an appearance.
- Synopsis: Poland becomes the World Empire and decides to keep the other nations as his cute pet Ponies. Told from the perspective of a cheerful Poland, this story contains an undertone of subtle horror that stays with you even after you finish reading, and the discord between the reality of Poland's actions and his cheerful narration is chilling. Despite the Ponyplay theme, there's almost no sexual content, but there is forced nudity, body modificationremoval and replacement of the vocal cords, drugging, brainwashing, dehumanisation, renaming of the 'Pony' characters, and all of the above being applied to underage characters.
- Recommended by Clipboard Fox 22
- Characters: Ensemble; but Latvia, Iceland, Sealand, and Estonia are the main subjects.
- Pairings: minor Sufin
- Synopsis: A sinister organization discovers the existence of personified countries and forces four of them to be pawns in a plot to overthrow America's government. Rated M for torture. An excellent fic, especially characterization wise.
- Tags: torture, obsession, repeated character death, violence, blood, and experimentation; all performed on children