Fanfic: Superwomen of Eva: Treacherous Web
A cloning disaster puts Ritsuko on a new path...and gives her a second chance to make things right."To Know Her Is To Fear Her!"Superwomen of Eva: Treacherous Web
is another of the Superwomen of Eva
stories set in his Marvel Comics
-based fusion Fan Verse
Ritsuko Akagi, beginning to become disgusted with her work for Gendo Ikari, keeps on going because of her powerlessness. This all changes one day, though, when an experiment with a Rei clone body is tainted by a little spider...
Currently under construction. Please add tropes as you see them!
This Superwomen of Eva story contains examples of the following:
- Amazonian Beauty: Ritsuko becomes quite muscular when in "Spider-Woman" mode. At least once or twice this makes people feel attracted to her in the story (and on one Omake, it pretty much makes Maya break out into a Les Yay confession right then and there).
- Broken Bird: Gendo's untimely death has the side-effect of tossing Shinji into a pretty deep depression. Ritsuko's attempts to liven his life (as best as she can) are a recurring plot point.
- Clothes Make the Superman: A variation. Ritsuko devises a nanotechnology Spider-Woman costume which can retract and deploy from a wristwatch (in a Shout-Out to Spider-Man Unlimited), plus changing into a number of alternate modes (like additional armor) on vocal command.
- Deadpool: Hired by The Kingpin to try to take out Ritsuko, he rampages through Tokyo-3 for a couple of chapters, in a brutal mix of Crazy Awesome and Kick the Dog (for example, threatening the kids of Tokyo-3 High (and Shinji) to draw her out). Ritsuko kills him as Deader Than Dead as she can at the end of his arc, but well, we know how hard is it for it to take...
- How Do I Shot Web?: Ritsuko spends a nice chapter or two figuring out just that.
- In Spite of a Nail: Killing Gendo Ikari has neither lessened the threat that series Bigger Bad Seele is nor has changed the fact that the Angels are coming (and in the same order as canon, as well). This is one of the biggest things that teach Ritsuko what all other spider-powered Marvel heroes have learned.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Ritsuko gets four "spider-legs" when she's Spider-Woman, which can be used as full-on hands.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The first thing Ritsuko decides to do once she has a grip on her spider-powers? Kill Gendo Ikari and eat Adam. Bad news, though: the DNA of Adam is interacting weirdly with her, painting a big target on her back for the Angels to see during their rampages (and a rampaging case of indigestion)... and worse yet, this gives Seele free reign to place Wilson Fisk as their puppet liaison, Norman Osborn as their puppet commander.... and neither of them nor Alistair Smythe (Ritsuko's replacement as the head of Tech Division) have the standards (however few) that Gendo had...
- Off the Rails: Most other Superwomen of Eva stories keep Gendo as a Big Bad for the superwomen to defeat. With no idea that a superwoman even exists up until she attacks him in his bedroom with full intent to kill and thus no preparedness, he becomes a Disc One Zero-Effort Boss. Of course, look above to see how bad that idea turned out...
- Reality Ensues: Both the fact that Gendo (regardless of what Fanon may say or how important he is to the series canon) is just a normal man who can get killed by a superhuman if caught completely unprepared, and the fact that killing him does not automatically makes things easier to anybody.
- Shout-Out: As mentioned above, Ritsuko's Spider-Woman outfit (and the super-science behind it) owes a lot to the Spider-Man Unlimited series.
- They Would Cut You Up: One of Ritsuko's initial fears upon discovering her Spider-powers and not knowing that she can "turn them off". Later on, upon unwillingly throwing Rei to the wolves by saying that the Angels may be detecting her half-Angel status and thus their rampages are not exactly going as expected (by chasing after Ritsuko, who was close to Rei at the time), Osborn and Fisk immediately order Ritsuko to dissect Rei to find out the details of why is this happening-which Ritsuko has to talk her way out of preventing for a while.
- Weirdness Magnet / Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious / Magnetic Plot Device: Ritsuko swallowing ADAM has an unexpected secondary effect: that of becoming a beacon for the Angels to chase after, desperate to merge with ADAM... and her, as collateral damage. As well, the fact that the Angels can feel her when she's in Spider-Woman mode (and she is not going to stop being Spider-Woman) makes saving other people during an Angel rampage a chore.
- Why Did It Have To Be Spiders?: Ritsuko is shown to be arachnophobic early in the story, and as empowering as her augmentations are, every time she concentrates to change into Spider-Woman, she pictures spiders, and the narrative constantly mentions that it disgusts her.