Fanfic: Apocalypse Meow
Not to be confused with the manga series of the same name albeit its alternate title.Apocalypse Meow is an adventurous fanfiction of the anime movie, The Cat Returns written by Dr. Vorlon of fanfiction.net. Published at May 06, 2010.Haru is bored out of her mind, as from her perspective, everything's going fine. "No more sleeping past [her] alarm clock, no more worrying what Machida thought of her, and most of all...no more sycophantic felines going out of their way to please her, only to have the opposite effect." Facing the feelings of missing her friends, especially Baron, she wonders when she could visit them again. What prevents her is that she isn't in need of help. Yet.Meanwhile, Hiromi is bored because nothing exciting is going on for her. Returning home with a lacrosse stick on her hand (courtesy of the piles of lacrosse sticks found on her doorstep one day), she unexpectedly wishes something really cool would happen, that she could go someplace amazing, that she could use her skills to be something special. No more than a minute later, her adventure begins.The story itself is popular, to the tune of over 150 reviews as of May, 08, 2011 and is praised for its humor even in the midst of suspense. New characters are also introduced in the story, while most of the main cast make their appearance.You may read the fanfiction here.
The work contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Hiromi's experience from the Cat Kingdom is supposed to be this for her. She found out anyway in the end after seeing Natoru.
- And the Adventure Continues: Just the last lines alone may give you a clue.
- Beige Prose: Each chapter is quite short and simply written but still clearly tells its story. Most chapters are dialogues of the characters.
- Breakout Character: Hiromi in the first story has a very prominent role.
- Call Back: In the ending, Natoru shows up in the human world to thank Haru and Hiromi for helping them defeat Mechphisto. As a result, he said the same speech that he said to Haru when the Cat King thanked her for saving the Prince.
- Natoru: Starting tomorrow, you shall be visited by happiness and good fortune as a marvellous array of—Haru: No! Shut up! Shut up! I'm not hearing this! No, no, no, no, nooooooooooooooo!
- Down the Rabbit Hole: For Hiromi, she simply wishes for something to happen and she was quickly in the Cat Kingdom thanks to the magic lacrosse stick she held as explained by Natoru.
- Dream Apocalypse: Which piqued Haru to go to the Cat Bureau. It starts to make sense as the story progresses.
- Dying Dream: Haru get's one after not awakening from fainting from Muta's gas.
- Evil All Along: Lune has hypothesized that there is a traitor in the Cat Kingdom. Turns out it was Colonel Whiskers who told the kats of the Hollow Lands the whereabouts of Lune and Yuki in order for them to be captured. He plans to end the bloodline lest that Prince Lune [and his children] might Turn Out Like His Father.
- Lampshade Hanging: For starters, Haru noticing how the crows carried her weight when she was being brought back down to the school's rooftop despite being fully human again.
- Toto: Haru. you're hanging out with a living stone crow, a living cat doll, and a talking pig-cat, and you want things to make sense?
- Hyperspace Mallet:And so Natoru whipped out an oversized map of the labyrinth. Where exactly he whipped it out from was anyone's guess, for the unclothed kitty did not possess any pockets, nor was he carrying any sort of bag. Yet Hiromi never bothered to question this...
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The certain narration can occasionally stumble upon this. Then there's this one line by Haru.
- Haru: Oh, poor Muta! He never seems to catch a break in these things. Listen to me, I'm starting to sound like a fanfic reviewer!
- Lemony Narration: It's there but subtle.
- The Lost Lenore/Death by Fan Adaptation: Louise (of Whisper of the Heart) is Type A. Baron said that she has fallen into despair and hopelesness after being abducted by the kats.
- Magic Stick: In here, the lacrosse sticks that were sent to Hiromi are described to be magical and can grant a single wish. Which also later explains how Hiromi suddenly ended up in the Cat Kingdom after her rant. Unfortunately, she has thrown them all away.
- Mega Neko: Muta, later in the story at one point. Complete with Hulk Speak.
- Our Monsters Are Different: The kats are described to be black silhouettes of cats, with their glowing red eyes being their only visible features.
- Put on a Bus: The Cat King and his advisor (Natori) only get to be briefly mentioned by the characters but never make an appearance or say a line.
- Reference Overdosed: Slightly. There is Muta and the Running Gag about his mispronunciation of the word Gigli.
- Sequel Hook: The author was asking for someone to volunteer. So far, there hasn't been one.
- The End?
- Land of Chaos: There's a certain place in the kingdom called "The Hollow Lands".