Sometimes, in order to find out who you truly are, you need to break a few rules. Or as many as possible; whichever works.
Haru's first time to see the world outside the cave her family called home ended with disasters that cause her mother's death and herself get cursed. To find a place that can accept her without condition and break her curse before she dies and become a fairy's eternal servant, the young girl must learn to take care of herself to travel in a world where being a woman would put you at disadvantage.
An AU fanfic of The Cat Returns
who is famous for several other AU fics of the fandom, this story combine different fairy tales and myths to give us a great adventure of Bearskin, the name people has given to Haru.
You can read it here
Please contribute more for this page.
- Action Girl: Haru/Bearskin, as the result of her father's training. Having berserk blood does help.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Bearskin as a man is attractive enough for women to throw themselves at "him" despite they knew that "he" is cursed.
- Bag of Holding: Haru's satchel from the old woman.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Machida was the only one beside her father that treat her kindly.
- The Berserker: Haru, who had her grandfather's blood.
- Berserk Button: Hurting an innocent is a good way to push Haru's button, touch her Baron is another.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Haru was treated badly by her town for being cursed. Only Machida was nice to her, which is the reason she fell in love with him.
- Judging from other people reaction when she first ventured out into the world, people also didn't like albinos.
- Chick Magnet: Haru/Bearskin, much to her annoyance.
- Deadpan Snarker: Haru and Baron.
- Deal with the Devil: A queen from one country made a deal with Rumpelstiltskin. Lucky for her, Bearskin showed up just in time.
- Dumb Muscle: Hercules.
- Fractured Fairy Tale: Several characters are from fairy tales from over the worlds. They also crossed over with myths, legends and Folklore too. For example:
- Lady Killer In Love: Juan, when he met Zela.
- Loophole Abuse: Rumpelstiltskin's curse is that Bearskin would never find a bride. Pity for him, Bearskin would rather find a groom.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: The mermaids just want to be entertained, whether by men or by stories.
- Spoiled Brat/Spoiled Sweet: Blanche zigzaged between the two tropes since she must be kind enough that the dwarfs adored her and her people wanted her back, but on the other hand, she was very stubborn and wouldn't take no for an answer, at least when her "Knight in shinning armor" was concerned.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Haru was forced to live as a boy from the day she was cursed. In her father's defense, being a woman would usually disadvantage for you in this kind of world and he must prepared her for the worse.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The father of the girl that Bearskin rescued from two molesters. After knowing that he can't make the "man" stay and marry his daughter, he tried to Date Rape her instead.
- Also, Queen Blanche/Snow White. From her point of view, she was doing a favor and give her hero the greatest gift of all by marrying to a queen, but to others, she was an ungrateful brat who pay back to her savior by make "him" a wanted man.