as a whole has this in spades. Thanks to the Support system
, which gives characters both nifty Character Development
and stat bonuses, Fire Emblem
tends to be a breeding ground for Ship-to-Ship Combat
with the unique difference that shipping
in Fire Emblem
— and thus arguments thereof — is often concerned with gameplay viability as much as it is with the romantic dynamic between the characters.
- Some fans who don’t like the canon Marth/Caeda ship bash Caeda. This even included fans who want to ship Marth in Super Smash Bros pairings.
- Many Palla/Abel shippers bash Est, Palla's little sister and Abel's canon wife.
- Marth's older sister Elice gets bashed by Merric/Linde fans, since she is Merric's Victorious Childhood Friend.
- Fire Emblem 4 suffers from a bit of this as well. As Perma Death and Relationship Values are both important parts of the game, the player can literally invoke Die for Our Ship:
- Beowulf suffers a lot of hate in the fandom as it is, but Finn/Raquesis gives the haters even more fuel for their fire. In turn, Beowulf fans scorn the Finn/Raquesis pairing and Raquesis herself.
- Lewyn/Ferry fans turn up their noses at Sylvia. Lewyn/Sylvia fans turn up their noses at Ferry. Lewyn/Tailto fans turn up their noses at both. Sylvia gets the most hate from shippers of either, though.
- Mitsuki Oosawa's manga portrays Eldigan's canon wife Grahnye (here named Iria) negatively and ships Eldigan/Raquesis instead. Mitsuki also excluded Holyn and Beowulf from the manga in favor of pairing Ayra up with Lex and Raquesis up with Finn.
- Quit a lot of fighting goes on over which pairings create the children of certain characters in Fuuin no Tsurugi aka Fire Emblem 6.
- There are 6 different endings involving marriage for Roy; shippers tend to have a lot of hate for Roy's teacher Cecilia.
- In Fire Emblem 7, Ninian the Dancer is the biggest victim of this from Lyn/Eliwood, Eliwood/Hector, and Eliwood/Fiora fans who bash her for standing in between their pairing of choice.
- Similarly, Priscilla is bashed because all her Supports are boys who happen to be part of the fandom's most popular slash pairings (and in some cases, one reasonably popular het pairing).
- Leila, and Matthew's canon love for her, are often disregarded for the sake of the popular Matthew/Guy. Conversely, some Matthew/Leila dislike the Matthew/Guy ship.
- Rath and Fiora are disliked by some die-hard Kent/Lyn shippers, while Kent is disliked by some Lyn/Tactician fans.
- In Fire Emblem 8, Natasha gets bashed by some Joshua/Artur, Joshua/Marisa and Seth/Eirika fans.
- Colm is bashed as well by people who prefer to pair up Neimi with someone else.
- The Seth/Eirika vs. Innes/Eirika vs. Eirika/Lyon shipping wars can get quite heated, with people on all sides bashing the suitor they do not favor.
- Fire Emblem 9 had Ike/Soren shippers who bash Elincia. It's mostly stopped now that the sequel implies that she ends up with Geoffrey. Unfortunately, it's turned the tables to Ike/Elincia fans bashing Geoffrey and the Ike/Soren pairing.
- Not to mention the war between Tibarn/Reyson shippers and Naesala/Reyson shippers.
- In Fire Emblem 10, main character Micaiah occasionally gets bashed for her romance with Sothe and standing in the way of Ho Yay.
- Awakening marked the return of the Lover/Inheritance System from Genealogy... and the cannons immediately started firing.
- Out of Chrom's potential wives, Sumia gets a lot of hate from the fandom. Part of it comes from the way the game pushes her as Chrom’s default love interest (restriction of her selection of other suitors, cutscenes featuring the two, including one titled “Lovebirds” in the North American edition) that can make some players feel it is being forced on them. Others see Unfortunate Implications in the emphasis on her clumsiness and poor self-image and in how much of their support chain revolves around Sumia cooking for Chrom and doing his laundry (in spite of Chrom insisted on cooking and making things for Sumia in return and in the original edition it was made more clear that Sumia was collecting everyone's laundry.).
- Some male Avatar/Lucina fans aren't fond of her with other available male characters, and will bash any character who might get in the way. Gerome and Inigo are the biggest victims of this, and some shippers attack Severa too, who can't actually support with Lucina despite the ship's popularity.
- Some male Avatar/Lucina fans also attack other girls who are commonly shipped with the male Avatar. Tharja and Cordelia are the two biggest victims of this.