Darth Wiki: Akimbo Albino
An original idea for a DC superhero by this troper
The Akimbo Albino (Real Name: Mack Yengko)
- Amateur Sleuth: See Great Detective below.
- Anti-Hero: Normally type III, but occasionally goes into type IV or type II territory.
- Ascended Fanboy: He grew up idolizing superheros, especially Superman, Batman, and The Question (the latter saved his life when Mack was a kid)
- A-Team Firing: Mack often fires hundreds of bullets during firefights but never hits anyone. Justified because he is actually going for "supressive fire".
- Badass Biker: His main mode of transportation is motorcycles which tend to get destroyed quite frequently. In a Shout-Out to Sin City, he will often say "That's a nice bike you got there" before "acquiring" a motorcycle from some criminal bikers.
- Badass Bookworm: He has a high IQ, is capable of understanding Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness, and his knowledge of the human anatomy makes him very proficient in interrogation techniques.
- Badass Longcoat: He has a preference fot black leather trenchcoats
- Badass Normal: He doesn't have any superpowers aside from his Hyperspace Arsenal.
- Berserk Button: Don't harm a child in his presense. He also has a Crazy Button in the form of zombies (as poor Solomon Grundy found out the hard way.)
- Big Eater: Due to his poor diet, he can really pack it away when his stomach is allowed to "cut loose".
- Blasting It out of Their Hands: When he is not A-Team Firing
- Blood Knight: He loves combat and it is his main motivation for even being a superhero.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He has a high IQ and excellent deductive abilities, but lacks the ambition to use his intelligence to its fullest.
- Calling Your Attacks: He has a habit of calling the names of his bare-hand attacks a la Hak Foo because of his Genre Savvy. Reality Ensues as this often gets him curb-stomped in hand-to-hand fights with skilled martial artists such as Lady Shiva or anyone in the Bat-Family.
Nightwing: (After beating Mack several times during a sparring session) "You know, your hand-to-hand combat skills would improve drastically if you stopped calling out the name of every single punch."
Akimbo Albino: "Yeah, but where's the fun in that?"
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He exercises constantly to compensate for his poor diet.
- Chaotic Neutral: He mostly minds his own business and became a vigilante out of boredom.
- City of Adventure: He lives in Metropolis (the borough of Bakerline specifically) and mostly combats low-level scum like street gangs and arms dealers so "they won't waste Superman's time" and to make sure that Metropolis doesn't become another Gotham (he does frequently go there on the occasion that he wants to beat something up and its a slow crime night in Metropolis).
- Cool Shades: He occasionally wears these during his daytime apperances. Justified because is is an albino.
- Crazy Awesome: At times. Due to his Genre Savvy, he will often attempt to invoke Power Born of Madness. One example of this is when everyone else is trying to penetrate a forcefield with powerful attacks, the Akimbo Albino is attempting to use a pillow and a teddy bear (it works). His over-the-top and liberal use of More Dakka also counts towards this.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has a habit of sarcastically lampshading tropes and is prone to making sarcastic and cynical comments.
- Dual Wielding: His main melee weapons are a pair of rattan sticks. He is also the best escrima (Filipino Stick Fighting) fighter in the entire DC universe (even capable of besting Batman or Lady Shiva in a pure escrima match).
- Enhanced Interrogation Techniques: He is a fan of using this method on everyday criminals and is quite effective at it due to his knowledge of the human anatomy. However, he will use the Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique when the suspect is already established to be an Asshole Victim. When It's Personal, he can take this trope to horrific Torture Technician levels.
- Fingerless Gloves: To help him deal with recoil.
- Fourth Wall Observer: Is Genre Savvy to the point where he is aware of the existance of the fourth wall and even lampshades tropes. Other characters tend to view him as "a little off" becaus of this.
- Friend to All Children: He has a soft spot for children and in return, children automatically trust and like him.
- Great Detective: He has excellent deductive skills. He even claims that all mysteries are merely "a version of connect the dots puzzles where you have to find the dots and connect them in the right order".
- Guns Akimbo: Duh
- The Gunslinger: Types A, B, and C
- Heroic Albino: Duh
- Hyperspace Arsenal: One of his few "powers" is an artifact that allows his trenchcoat to hold a limitless supply of items (especially guns) without weighing him down. He even refers to this ability as "Hammerspace"
- I Know Karate: In addition to being an escrima master, Mack is also skilled in a MMA-style that utilzes multiple Kung Fu disiplines, Muay Thai, Boxing, Savate, Judo, Professional Wrestling, and Krav Maga.
- It's Personal: Whenever this trope is invoked, Mack becomes much more brutal.
- Knight in Sour Armor: He is sarcastic and cynical and views Gotham City as a "lost cause", but he does believe in the Metropolis ("it'll be a cold day in hell before a let the Big Apricot go rotton") and is perfectly fine and willing to help the helpless.
- Le Parkour: He is self-trained and skilled in this.
- Mook Horror Show: He enjoys invoking this trope.
- More Dakka: Mack uses this liberally.
- Must Have Caffeine: Subverted in that Mack despises the taste of coffee and thus prefers cola for his caffeine fix.
- Perpetual Poverty: Due to being Brilliant, but Lazy, he is often broke and mostly eats cheap food like instant noodles or frozen waffles and barely manages to pay the rent for his apartment.
- Pistol Whip: Mack takes this to a whole new level by frequently utlizing escrima techniques with his guns during melee combat.
- Purple Eyes
- Save the Villain: He averts this all the time.
- Sherlock Scan: To the point where he can often figure out the secret identies of other superheros with just a glance and a few, seemingly meaningless, questions.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: He abides by this rule, but will gladly chuck it out the window when It's Personal and won't save a supervillain if said villain is about to be Hoist by His Own Petard.
- Throw Away Guns: He almost never reloads, prefering to pull out another pair of guns from his hammerspace trenchcoat.
- Trigger Happy: Much to the annoyance of his fellow superheroes.
- Vigilante Man: He identifies himself as this, claiming that he is too brutal to be a "true superhero".
Proposed story arcs:Drawing on the "Veritas Liberat" storyline (which ended with Bane making a Heel-Face Turn
), Bane leaves the Secret Six
(for some reason) and tries his hand at being a superhero but almost none of the Justice League trust him. The Akimbo Albino decides to take the risk of having Bane as a partner (though he does comment that he'll need spine-repair insurance in case Bane does make a Face-Heel Turn
). Tropes used:
When his godparents and their family were wiped out by a crime syndicate
, he puts his Thou Shalt Not Kill
rule on hold and goes on a brutal Roaring Rampage of Revenge
. After he completely wipes out the syndicate he turns himself in and is sentenced to life in prison until he gets a pardon for going on a black ops mission for the Suicide Squad
. Understandably, he needed to work hard to repair his reputation (and especially his standing with the Justice League) after this. Tropes used:
- Anti-Hero: Mack goes into type IV territory for this one.
- The Atoner: Mack feels responsible because he convinced his godparents' daughter to turn testimony against The Syndicate. He also really needed to repair his reputation after his vendetta rampage.
- Boxed Crook: In the aftermath of the Roaring Rampage of Revenge, he gets a pardon for agreeing to do a black ops job for the Suicide Squad.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The Akimbo Albino inflicts this on the trio of hitmen who killed his godparent's family:
- The first hitman he interrogates via breaks a finger with a hammer, cuts off the finger, cauterizes the wound with a red-hot poker, and then moves on to the next finger. He does this to all the hitman's fingers and then sets him on fire.
- The second hitman he tases unconscious, drags him into a secluded area, injects a painkiller into him, cuts his stomach open and drapes his intestines above him, wakes the man up by thrusting a lit cigarette into his eye, interrogates him, injects a substance that cancels out the painkiller, and then pours a jar of angry red ants into the guy's cut-open stomach and walks away (did we mention that the hitman is allergic to ant bites?)
- And as fo the last and worst: 10-hour Pressurization chamber torture
- Darker and Edgier
- Fate Worse than Death: When Mack gets ahold of the low-level syndicate accountant who paid the hitmen, Mack decides that he isn't scummy enough to torture outright but at the same time must suffer for his role. So he finds out that the accountant once ran afoul of the Joker and Mack ties him up near the Joker's last known location and leaves him. Cue Evil Laugh from the darkness after the accountant is desperatly pleading to a walking-away Akimbo Albino.
- How We Got Here: The story arc starts with Mack in a interrogation room before giving an interview to Lois Lane and Clark Kent with Commisioner Gordon overseeing.
- It's Personal
- Luxury Prison Suite: When Mack goes to prison, he had already used most of the money he took from The Syndicate to bribe almost all of the guards into giving him his own cell with laptop, internet access, and take-out fast-food.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: and how!
- Play-Along Prisoner: Mack makes it very clear that he is this when he gets sentenced to life in prison.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Stuffed In The Fridge: Mack's godparents and their family
- The Syndicate: It has major operations in Metropolis, Gotham, New York City, and Hub City and had connections to Intergang and Black Mask.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Mack puts this rule on hold.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Many superheroes Mack comes across call him out for his vigilante rampage.