Michael Sinterniklaas started in ADR as a director/voice actor for many Carolina-based English dubs for AnimEigo back in The '90s, such as Bubblegum Crisis. He later moved to New York, and began collaborating with 4Kids Entertainment, but actually, he's one of the more talented actor/directors they had, simply because he managed to land some really good roles elsewhere, including both Nnoitra Jiruga and Luppi from Bleach, and some occasional roles for FUNimation. Western cartoon fans know him best as the voice of Dean Venture of The Venture Bros. and Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003). He's got a decent range which allows him to play anything from a teenage boy to a Pokémon. He's not as popular as, say, Dan Green, but then again, it's kinda hard to top that voice. Michael seems to attract a lot of crazy fan girls at conventions and other public events.Besides voice acting he also founded the recording studio NYAV Post, which bases its model on bi-coastal collaboration- shows he directs tend to feature actors from both sides of the States. Dubs for Media Blasters anime series and some Western Animation like The Venture Bros. and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot are recorded there, for which he is often the voice director. Kappa Mikey was also recorded there, as well as basically any other of Animation Collective's shows, considering they're just several blocks from each other. He is one of the few voice actors who is quite well-known of a lot of cross region work with a total of three major voice acting locations (the said founded NYAV Post in New York City, FUNimation in Dallas, Texas, and many Los Angeles based studios like Studiopolis). Pretty much, the only things missing in the list are Seraphim Digital Studios (Houston, Texas) and The Ocean Group (Vancouver, Canada), but it wouldn't be a surprise if his name started popping up there.note Not to be confused with Sinterklaas.
Notable roles by Michael Sinterniklaas:
- 004 in Cyborg 009 Vs. Devilman
- Angelo Sauper in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
- Ataru Moroboshi in the one episode of Urusei Yatsura that was dubbed (not the movies)
- Dagger in Black Butler
- Dodge in D Grayman
- Guy Shishioh in the short-lived GaoGaiGar dub
- Ivan Karelin/Origami Cyclone in Tiger & Bunny
- Izasa in episode 26 of Mushishi
- Jan Suk in Monster
- Jei in Burst Angel
- Kenji Koiso in Summer Wars
- Leo in Fullmetal Alchemist
- Mackie Stingray in Bubblegum Crisis
- Moritaka Mashiro in Bakuman。
- Mr. 9 in the 4Kids dub of One Piece
- Disco in the Funimation dub.
- Netherlands in Axis Powers Hetalia
- Nnoitra Jiruga, Menis, and Luppi in Bleach
- Osugi in Eden of the East
- Priest Mahad in Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Sora and Utakata in Naruto Shippuden
- Takeru in Freedom Project
- Trey in Shaman King
- Xellos in Slayers Revolution
- Jackal in Bravely Default
- Yew Geneolgia in Bravely Second
- Orphan's final form in Final Fantasy XIII
- Pink Panther in Pink Panther Passport To Peril and Hokus Pokus Pink
- Sarutobi Sasuke in Sengoku Basara (the games and the anime)
- A-Tak in Galak-Z: The Dimensional
- Gwin Evans in Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Dean Venture in The Venture Bros.
- Funshine Bear, Birthday Bear, and Cozy Heart Penguin in Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot and Care Bears & Cousins
- Jared and Jesse, and Ronald Multon in Speed Racer: The Next Generation
- Leonardo in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)
- Mikey Simon in Kappa Mikey
- Weenus and Megawatt in Robotomy
- Storybook Bear in We Bare Bears
- Ah! My Goddess
- A Cat in Paris
- Freedom Project
- Kurokami: The Animation
- Ninja Nonsense
- Robotomy - Blastus
- Slayers Revolution
- Three Delivery
- The Venture Bros.
Tropes associated with Michael Sinterniklaas:
- Bilingual Bonus: He's from France. This has helped him produce the English dub for French animated movies licensed by Gkids, such as Ernest And Celestine, A Cat in Paris and Mia And Magoo. His last name is the Dutch word for Saint Nicholas, who is Santa Claus in America or Father Christmas if you're from the UK. Also, he knows Japanese and has even formed healthy business relations with Japanese animation studios.
- Older Than They Look: Look the picture above (or any recent video of him, really) and say that the guy looks his age (he's 40).
- The Other Darrin: If a cast member drops out right before recording a show Sinterniklaas directs, and the character is male, 99% of the time he'll fill in for him.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Less so than others, but in all his projects he plays either the straight young, male hero, a charismatic antagonist, or an Adorkable wimp. His roles are usually on either end of an unrequited crush. And usually the object of said relationship will always be voiced by Stephanie Sheh, who will also be producing alongside him.
- Playing Against Type: Nnoitra. So much.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Has worked extensively with LA-based Stephanie Sheh for over a decade, who also produces, directs, and acts. This widening of associated studios he works for only grew this collaboration. They had characters appear in scenes together in Eden of the East, Bleach, Monster, Sengoku Basara, Slayers Revolution, Bakuman。, Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.