Creator: Judi Dench
"It is true that there are few plays of Shakespeare that I haven't done."Dame Judith Olivia "Judi" Dench (December 9th 1934) is an award-winning English actress and right up there with Helen Mirren, Emma Thompson and Maggie Smithnote in terms of being completely awesome. While she previously worked mostly in theater — notably with the Royal Shakespeare Company — she has become more prominent as a movie actress since she took on the role of "M" in the James Bond series.She's also famous for winning an Academy Award for her role in Shakespeare in Love, where she stole the film with a grand total of nine minutes of screen time as Elizabeth I. Ironically, she had previously been nominated for Best Actress for playing Queen Victoria in Mrs Brown, losing to Helen Hunt.Ofcom, who handle complaints about television shows in the UK, sometimes refer to the "Judi Dench effect", noting that any swearword spoken by Judi Dench will result in more complaints than the same swearword spoken by anyone else. Which is kind of ironic, because, in her role as everyone's favorite cool auntie, she seems perfectly comfortable unleashing the occasional Precision F-Strike when necessary.Word of God says she DM's for her grandkids, which is made of so much ridiculous awesome and win. Once word of this got out, no self-respecting geek would call her anything less than "Dame Judi Dench".The ringtone on her phone is the James Bond theme. Apparently, it often went off in her scenes in the Bond movies, on-set hilarity ensuing.While it has come to light that her eyesight is failing, Dench is adamant that she has no plans to quit acting. She is also one of a small and incredibly privileged number of people to have read published obituaries - to themselves - whilst still alive. An internet hoax circulated in October 2015 that Judi Dench had died. Some news providers were taken in and published tributes and obituaries of her life. Read more here.
— Judi Dench
Her films include:
- James Bond
- Hamlet (1996)
- Mrs Brown — Earnt her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.
- Shakespeare in Love — One-Scene Wonder that earned her the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Notes on a Scandal — Third Academy Award nomination.
- The Chronicles of Riddick — Was cast because Vin Diesel was apparently a huge fan of hers, and begged her to take the part. In-between shooting, she DM'd for Diesel, Karl Urban, and Thandi Newton.
- Mrs Henderson Presents
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Philomena —Fourth Academy Award nomination
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Her TV work includes:
- As Time Goes By
- A Fine Romance
- Cranford and its sequel Return to Cranford
- A BBC rendition of Macbeth, playing Lady Macbeth opposite Sir Ian McKellen
- Princess Katherine in An Age of Kings
- Cool Old Lady
- Playing Against Type: Judi is one of a small select club of women who have participated in panel comedy gameshow I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Stories were circulated on the Internet in October 2015 falsely stating she had died. Ms Dench herself has since put out an official statement to the effect that she is still here and hopes to be present in the world for some time yet.
- Shakespearean Actors