Charles Martinet (born September 17, 1955, in San Jose, California) is best known as the voices of Mario, Luigi and most other male characters in the Super Mario Bros. series, starting with Mario's FUNdamentals in 1995. Martinet is fluent in Spanish and French but, ironically, not so fluent in Italian.The Super Mario Wiki has more information about him. He also has an Instagram and Vine Account.
Charles Martinet has provided these voice overs of:
- Gouji Rokaku in Jet Set Radio.
- Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, and Toadsworth in the Super Mario Bros. series, and his Star-Making Role.
- Paarthurnax in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Vigoro in Skies of Arcadia.
- Homunculus in Shadow of Destiny.
- Sir Alistair Loveless III, Jacques Ramone, and Pericles Lear in The ClueFinders series.
- The Cat in the Hat and Yertle the Turtle in Dr. Seuss Kindergarten.
- The Narrator (himself) in BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien and Runner3
- Orvus in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time.
- Fowl Mouth in Cel Damage.
- Played the role of Spinner in Solar Eclipse.
- Sanguinar and the Old One in Slave Zero.
- Everyone (the announcer, player character, and all the opponents) in Super Punch Out!
- William Shakespeare and Ludwig van Beethoven in Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego?
- Senator Wilson Philips in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The OVA
- I Am Not Spock: As far as the Mario fans are concerned, Charles and Mario are the same person. Regardless, Charles doesn't seem to mind since he loves doing his Mario (or any other Mario character requested) voice for fans.
- Playing Against Type: As Gouji Rokaku, Fowl Mouth, Paarthurnax and Sanguinar.
- Star-Making Role: Charles had acting experience prior to his role as voice actor of Mario. It wasn't until after his cast as Nintendo's famous mascot for Super Mario 64 that his name really took off. While other Nintendo characters had their voice actors changed every so often, Charles is the only one who has been in the same role for many years.