" Burkhardt takes a look at the games, shows, or items that he enjoys enough to tell others about. Be it a sarcastic remark, a sincere statement, or an ear piercing yell, he's sure to get his point across. He has a show called MMO Grinder
which reviews free-to-play MMORPGs
. It can be found here
He also participated in Sad Panda Q&A
), was on Lord Kat
's live stream monthly podcast with Critical Marine
called Conduct Unbecoming
which is about the military, since he is a veteran, and was a guest on the weekly MMO podcast called MMO Underground
both of which are now defunct.
A list of stuff done by Jon can be found here
- Animation Age Ghetto: He relates an interesting MMO example in his MMO Grinder: MapleStory enforced by the community itself, not an outside group: He witnessed a group of players harassing one player because he was too old in their eyes to play this rather cutesy game - 16 years.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: During the Onigiri review:
- Bait-and-Switch Credits: Episode 5 of the MMO Grinder seems to be at first about Pi Story, but as this game was scrapped after a botched open beta, the rest of the review is about Dungeon Fighter Online.
- The Cameo:
- Phelous, Sad Panda and Welshy appear in the introductory episode of MMO Grinder.
- Nicole Burkhardt occasionally drops by, as in the LOTRO review to show off her musical skills.
- Linkara informs ChaosD1 needlessly in the Star Trek Online review that it's gone free to play.
- Caramelldansen Vid: Characters in Eden Eternal dance the Caramelldansen, so naturally ChaosD1 puts the music over their dancing in his review. He apologizes for it.
- Catch Phrase: "X DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!!", screamed ear-piercingly loudly during cameos for Welshy, Phelous, and Linkara.
- He mentions in his review of Dark Blood that he himself doesn't really like the idea of a catchphrase; feeling it's something of a cheap gag. However, at the same time, sometimes it needs to be said (this time, in regard to the design of the game's female characters).
- In the same vein, some of the newer cameos instead use a Dull Surprise-laden "Feel the magic".
- There's a few within MMO Grinder, such as yelling "SUPAH KAWAII" whenever playing an anime styled game.
- Content Warnings: At the beginning of the MMO Grinder: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Cosmetic Award: Used as a running gag. Specifically the World of Warcraft achievements that pop-up for various reasons.
- Episode 1: LUNA Online. An achievement called "Why don't you have a seat?" with Chris Hansen appears when he mentions you can search for players under 10.
- Episode 2: Pangya. "Why don't you have a seat?" appears again when Kooh and Lucia dance, with the added description of "You kept watching her dance." He pushes the achievement back downward when it appears for Lucia, though.
- Episode 4: LOTRO. "Name Dropper" at the end of the video with the text "Mention World of Warcraft over 30 times in a single review." He smacks it away.
- Episode 7: Eden Eternal. "Cheap Shot" appears he makes a very specific reference when mentioning the "Couples" system. The text reads "You went for an obvious joke on an easy target."
- Creative Closing Credits: The Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage guide/review credits.
- Cross Player: If given a choice, he will not play a guy in the MMO Grinder.
- Cuteness Proximity: The alpacas in Eden Eternal trigger this in his wife.
- Evil Sounds Deep: He does a stereotypical demon voice in the ending of the The Possession: Return of Six review and the beginning of the Hellgate: London review.
- Evolutionary Levels: Invoked with this photo◊.
- Foreshadowing: The stinger in #7 promises a future Mtn Dew review.
- Forgets to Eat: ChaosD1 once played 13 hours of ''The Lord of the Rings Online' without eating.
- Gainaxing: The sole reason why he preorders Dragon's Crown.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The alpacas in Eden Eternal are actually "Grass Mud Horses", a Chinese Meme which circumvents government censorship: Their Chinese name, Cao Ni Ma, sounds like Mandarin for "Fuck your mother". ChaosD1 just says they are a meme, but leaves it for the viewer to discover the punchline on his own.
- GIFT: The main reason why there is a section about the community in MMO Grinder, although there is quite a variation in the niceness of the communities. ChaosD1 also states that sometimes the reputation of a community isn't as bad as exaggerated, as he, for example, had few problems with the infamous League of Legends community.
- Gilligan Cut: In the beginning of the World of Tanks review, he is installing the game, hoping it is quick to review and something he can delete after that so as to not clog up his PC. Cut to two weeks later, where he became addicted to the game.
- Ha Ha Ha No: Done by Phelous in The Stinger of his Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage review/guide and by ChaosD1 himself in his MapleStory episode of MMO Grinder.
- I Have Many Names:
- Chaos the Dark One
- Lord Chaos
- D1 Productions
- The Arcade Whore
- Mountain Dew Guy
- Total Chapos
- In-Joke: Withing the MMO Grinder community there are a few.
- Insistent Terminology: ChaosD1 would like to remind you that League of Legends is correctly abbreviated as LoL, not LOL or lol. Also, WoW is only the abbreviation for World of Warcraft and not a Leet Lingo way of saying "wow".
- It's Quiet... Too Quiet: Used verbatim in the Hellgate: London review. He apologizes for it in a pop-up.
- Lampshade Hanging: He points out that the Bait-and-Switch Credits in MMO Grinder: Dungeon Fighter Online should have been obvious as a joke since the viewers can see the title of the video.
- The Nicknamer: On the Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage video credits:
- No Indoor Voice: He can yell very well.
- Now Buy The Merchandise: In the beginning of the Eden Eternal episode, he changes his shirt because the one he was wearing appeared in a previous episode. Conveniently, the new shirt is the official MMO Grinder T-shirt. He Lampshades this.
- Precision F-Strike: He did a very funny one when he learned in Conduct Unbecoming that certain regulations became way more lenient since he left the Marine Corps. He went to the other side of the room and faced away from the mike, but it still was very loud.
- Previously On: Used in Chaos Reviews: MTN DEW Game Fuel 2011, where Phelous provides the voice and makes up a story from a fantasy epic which naturally didn't really happen in the previous Mtn Dew review.
- Running Gag: Whenever sexualized underage characters appear in a MMO, he has a pop-up appearing with Chris Hansen.
- Self-Deprecation: "I currently live in Delaware because I make bad life choices. (Seriously, I hate this state.)"
- Shout-Out: To MegaGWolf in #7, who is a fellow reviewer who did Shout Outs to the MMO Grinder before, so ChaosD1 returns the favor.
- Sinister Scythe: Scythes are his favorite type of weapon in fiction.
- Something Completely Different: Episode 10 of the MMO Grinder doesn't feature a MMO, but League of Legends, which is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game. ChaosD1 originally thought it was a MMO when he included it in polls and decided to review it anyway when he learned otherwise.
- Special Edition Title: For the Doctor Who: Worlds in Time MMO Grinder the title sequence fittingly emulates the one from Doctor Who.
- Special Effects Failure: He sprouts demon wings in the beginning of the Hellgate: London review, which he immediately takes off again since they are intentionally silly looking. In The Stinger, the wings don't even deploy properly on the first try.
- The Stinger:
- A Mountain Dew Slurpee review in the Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage review/guide.
- In a direct reference to the Chee-tos "Chopsticks" commercial, ChaosD1's wife annoys him a bit in the stinger of The Lord of the Rings Online review by playing the song over and over.
- In the Myst Online review, he tries out traveling into a book. He succeeds, but remarks it is pointless when he only travels back to his room.
- In the Eden Eternal review, he first pwns MegaGWolf in the game and then plugs an upcoming Mtn Dew review.
- In Chaos Reviews: MTN DEW Game Fuel 2011, Phelous provides a more literal version of the Previously On segment.
- In the Hellgate: London review, he is distraught that apparently League of Legends will win the poll. Also, it is shown that when he first tried to deploy the demon wings, they didn't work properly.
- In the Rusty Hearts review, he's watching the character Angela walking while he wears a pair of 3D glasses, until the Chris Hansen pop-up appears, implying Angela is underage.
- In the "Fantasy Tennis" review, It cuts to "Tales of Fantastical Tennis" where Andycak reads the game's storyline in a goofy, overly simplified manner. This is a direct reference to the "Tales of the Legendary League" videos he occasionally posts on YouTube.
- In the Cityof Heroes review, it cuts to an image of the store "Scheherazade" with a voice clip from Phelous's 2011 April Fools video, on "New Phelous" trying to pronounce the word.
- In the Lineage 2 review, he is seen gleefully deinstalling the game.
- The Star Trek Online review has a few outtakes by Linkara.
- The World of Tanks review has horrible tank puns.
- The Project Powder review has a teaser for the crossover with Jew Wario.