Alan Wolf Arkin (born March 26, 1934) is an American actor, director, musician and singer. He is known for starring in such films as Wait Until Dark, The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Catch-22, The In-Laws, Edward Scissorhands, Glengarry Glen Ross, Thirteen Conversations About One Thing, Little Miss Sunshine, and Argo, the last two of which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor and the former of which he won. He is the father of actors Adam Arkin, Anthony Arkin, and Matthew Arkin.
open/close all folders
He appeared in
- The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966)
- Wait Until Dark (1967)
- Catch-22 (1970)
- The Seven Per Cent Solution (1976)
- The In-Laws (1979)
- The Last Unicorn (1982)
- The Return of Captain Invincible (1983)
- Escape from Sobibor (1987)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- The Rocketeer (1991)
- Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
- So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993)
- North (1994)
- Mother Night (1996)
- Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
- Gattaca (1997)
- Jakob the Liar (1999)
- America's Sweethearts (2001)
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006)
- Get Smart (2008)
- Marley and Me (2008)
- The Muppets (2011)
- Argo (2012)
- Stand Up Guys (2012)
- The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (2013)
- Grudge Match (2013)
- The Ace: One of only six actors to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his first officially-credited screen appearance. The other five actors are: Orson Welles, Lawrence Tibbett, James Dean, Paul Muni and Montgomery Clift.
- Bald of Awesome: Tends to play a no-nonsense Cool Old Guy or/and Badass Grandpa.
- Cool Old Guy: Play these roles for the last three decades or so.
- Cool Teacher: According to IMDb, he is also a teacher leading workshops in improvisation, and his students find him warm, insightful, and very, very funny.
- Older Than They Look: Older example than most, but he fits. Arkin is 80 years old but he could easily pass for someone 20 years younger.