Film / Stand Up Guys
Stand Up Guys
is a 2012 comedy action film directed by Fisher Stevens and starring Al Pacino
, Christopher Walken
and Alan Arkin
. Valentine (Al Pacino
) has just been released from prison after serving 28 years. His old partner-in-crime, Doc (Christopher Walken
), is waiting to pick him up at the gates. But what Val doesn't know is that Doc is being pressured by Mob boss Claphands to kill Val as soon as he gets out. Doc decides to give his friends Val and Hirsch (Alan Arkin
), their old getaway driver, one last night on the town before he completes his "assignment".
Provides Examples Of:
- Adorkable: Wendy, the owner of the bordello.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Valentine and Doc both. Eventually.
- Badass Driver: Hirsch, which really isn't surprising once his backstory with Val and Doc is revealed.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Val and Doc VS. Claphands and his gang.
- Cool Car: The SRT Challenger belonging to the Jargoniew brothers.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Family: Doc and Val, to a degree, but more specifically Doc and his granddaughter Alex.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Valentine and Doc, after finding Sylvia naked and brutalized in the trunk of the Jargoniew brothers' car (which they just stole), facilitate her justifiable vengeance.
- Groin Attack: Sylvia's method of attack against her kidnappers.
- Loveable Rogue: Valentine and Doc, but more the former.
- Perma-Stubble: Valentine.
- Raging Stiffie: Val takes some viagra so he can bone a prostitute. To "make sure," he took a fistful and after some drinks and more drugs, he's wheeled into the ER with a small circus tent on his crotch.
- Retired Outlaw: Both Valentine and Doc, each in their own way.
- Retired Badass: Likewise.
- Shout-Out: The ending is one to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
- White Gang-Bangers: The Jargoniew Brothers.