is an American Medical Drama
created by David E. Kelley
that ran from 1994 to 2000. The cast included Mandy Patinkin
, Maya Rudolph
, and Hector Elizondo.
This series provides examples of:
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The first season has "In Silence" as the theme song for the Japanese version and "Winter Fall for the second season.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Geiger
- Code Silver: A patient's brother demands a donor heart at gunpoint.
- Crossover: With Early Edition (characters from Chicago Hope appearing in an episode of Early Edition) and Picket Fences (in both directions).
- Happily Married: Billy and Diane
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Geiger and Shutt
- The Mad Hatter: Dr. Geiger, justifying his own God-complex to a review board, explains that because he thinks he's God, he never gets distracted by self-doubt.
"Who's kiddin' who? Personally, I'm a mess. Should you let your sister marry me? Not a chance. But if her heart stops, you want her on my table."
- Medical Drama
- Musical Episode: In the fourth-season episode "Brain Salad Surgery", Dr. Aaron Shutt suffered a brain aneurysm that caused him to hallucinate the rest of the hospital staff singing and dancing.
- Orphaned Punchline:
(elevator doors open)
Dr. Shutt: There is no getting through to you! It's like that joke about the Pope, the penguin and the agnostic! (steps out of the elevator)
Tom Wilmette: Um, I'm not familiar.
Dr. Shutt: (looks at his watch, then gets back on the elevator) I'll tell it fast. Phone rings at the Vatican, pope picks it up...
(elevator doors close)
- Parody Episode: When the doctors of Chicago Hope get blamed for the death of a famous actor, the episode is shown as an Entertainnment Tonight exclusive.
- Shout Out: Dr. Kathryn Austin was a recipient of the Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award, previously featured in St. Elsewhere.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Played with. A woman suffers a miscarriage and her husband dies of a heart attack on the same day. She convinces the doctors to artificially inseminate her with her husband's sperm before they too die off and she successfully becomes pregnant.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal : One of the doctors, a very manly hockey player, starts dating Mia Sara. When she informs that she has something to tell him, he says that he already knows... that she has fake boobs and he's fine with it, she informs him that she actually used to be his best friend and hockey teammate in high school.