is a King Features syndicated newspaper comic
, originally written and drawn by Greg Howard (then a recently retired lawyer), and introduced in 1982. It is a slice-of-life domestic comedy, tending towards story arcs but often using the gag-a-day format for the Sunday strips. In 1992, Craig MacIntosh took over the drawing with Howard continuing to write. Then, in 1999, Francesco Marciuliano took over the writing, when Howard left the strip completely (and when arguably the strip entered into its full form
). Sally Forth is carried in nearly 700 papers nationwide.This strip should not be confused with
the decidedly more adult military comic of the same title
by Wally Wood.
This comic provides examples of:
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The Forths' daughter Hilary is a blonde. Her best friend Faye has black hair. Their friend Nona is a redhead.
- Sally's friend/coworker Alice is blonde; her daughter is a level-headed redhead, and her son is hyperactive brunette.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Nona. The writer has described her thusly:
Nona started as an answer to my own question, "What if Luna Lovegood
lived in the suburbs... and wasn't a wizard... and didn't have an English accent even though, let's face it, English accents make everything sound brilliant or diabolical... except maybe the poor English characters in Mike Leigh
films... Seriously, just watching those doomed characters try to scrape enough shillings to purchase a pen to sign over their house to creditors is absolute torture... Who am I talking to?"
- Ted, of course. His choice of office watercooler talk is less sports and more '80s TV cartoons.
- Sally's stepdad; he might actually be senile.
- Deadpan Snarker: If you find one person in the strip that isn't one, you get a gold star.
- Did Mom Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: When Sally's sister Jackie announces that she's hooked up with Sally's former boss Ralph. They're now married.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Ted does it, but Hilary seems to take after him in this department on occasion.
- Meta Guy: Sally's husband Ted was Abed before Abed was.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: According to the above interview, Nona is apparently very bright if scatterbrained.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Both sets, really. Sally's mother is a constant belittler. Ted's parents are dour borderline alcoholics.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Ralph, Sally's former boss. He was eventually demoted to her co-worker before she was reorg'd to the marketing department.
- Poor Communication Kills: Hilary and Faye had a falling out with Nona and, thinking that she needs space, wait so long to apologize that Nona found a new pair of blond and brunette friends.
- Running Gag: Every Easter, Sally always bites the ears off of Hilary's chocolate bunny.
- Every autumnal equinox will begin with a soliloquy on how awesome Fall is.