Comic Book: The Sixth Gun
The Sixth Gun
is a Weird West
ongoing, monthly comic book series created by Cullen Bunn & Brian Hurtt and published by Oni Press.
During the darkest days of the Civil War, wicked cutthroats came into possession of six pistols of otherworldly power. In time the Sixth Gun, the most dangerous of the weapons, vanished. When the gun surfaces in the hands of an innocent girl, dark forces reawaken. Vile men thought long dead set their sights on retrieving the gun and killing the girl. Only Drake Sinclair, a gunfighter with a shadowy past, stands in their way.
This series provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: All six guns, and to make things worse, they don't need reloading, ever.
- Action Girl / Action Survivor: Becky.
- Affably Evil: General Hume, and Lady Hume, in the Spirit World alternate timeline.
- Alternate Self: Becky meets an Alternate!Becky that succeeded in obtaining all six guns, redid the world in her image, and now lives a happy married life with Kirby Hale.
- Ancient Conspiracy: Two of them. The Sword of Abraham, who seeks to stop The Six Guns from opening the seal that would undo the world, and The Knights of Solomon, who seek to do just that.
- Artifact of Doom: All six guns, but specially the sixth one.
- The Atoner: Drake Sinclair.
- Badass Normal: Kirby Hale and Nahuel, the indian hunter.
- Badass Preacher: Pa Montcrief, and the members of The Sword of Abraham.
- Back from the Dead: General Hume.
- Big Bad: General Hume.
- Bigger Bad: The Grey Witch, who happens to be Hume's mother.
- Body Horror: The effects of the second gun.
- Chronic Back Stabbing Disorder: Drake, for the most part.
- Clingy MacGuffin: All Six Guns.
- Cool Hat: Drake sports a curled brim bowler hat.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Just about everyone.
- Eldritch Location: The Crossroads, and The Vault. Notable for being several of them around.
- Face-Heel Turn: Asher, after the Grey Witch nudges him using his Love Makes You Evil weakness.
- Famed In-Story: Colonel John S. Mosby, the Gray Ghost, Drake Sinclair's mentor.
- Fiery Redhead: Becky Montcrief.
- Fingore: Drake loses two fingers on his left hand to frostbite.
- The Gunslinger: Just about everyone.
- Handsome Lech: Kirby Hale.
- Love Makes You Evil: Asher Cobb. Technically a case of You Can't Fight Fate, since he became evil when he couldn't stop his loved one's death, in spite of being a seer. It is also the reason why eventually pulls a Face-Heel Turn on Sinclair's group.
- Moral Event Horizon: Drake he realize that for all the evil he done that something as evil as the guns shouldn't be messed with and that Humes must be stopped.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The Fourth Gun raises spirits that then become mud golems.
- Asher Cobb, a 9ft tall mummy.
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: A farmgirl, a former confederate soldier, a gambler and now a mud homunculus, a former slave who delved into black magic under the guidance of his former master, a thief, an ambiguously evil seer turned living mummy, two Magical Native Americans and the dissecated head of a really powerful indian shaman.
- Pinkerton Detective: Several are featured, providing their services to lady Hume.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Not only for their powers, but also for their nature. It is revealed that the weapons have changed shaped through the ages, from primitive stone age weapons, to swords during the crusades, to guns in the wild west.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The true power of the guns, should they be used to unlock The Vault.
- Token Good Teammate: Drake was this for General Hume's old gang, also making him the Only Sane Man of such gang.
- Weird West: A good example of the genre, considering it deals with ghosts, zombies, homunculus, zombies and weapons that can bring the destruction of the world.
- World of Badass: Just about everyone important in the story is a badass.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: The Grey Witch, Hume's mother, kills her daughter in law, Lady Hume, when she stops being useful for her, and gain possession of The Fifth Gun.