Comic Book: Catwoman: When in Rome
Catwoman: When in Rome
(2004-2005), is a six issue miniseries, published by DC Comics
, by the award-winning creative team of Jeph Loeb
and Tim Sale. It was the third part of their popular Batman cycle, coming after The Long Halloween
and Dark Victory
Many spoilers in summary ahead:
- In Chapter 1, Catwoman is awoken by a Batman nightmare following the events of Long Halloween, Selina Kyle AKA Catwoman and Edward Nigma AKA The Riddler, travel to Rome to uncover the secrets surrounding Selina's parentage. When they arrive in Rome they meet up with Selina's contact, an excellent hitman known as "The Blond", who doesn't know about Selina's motives or her secret identity, that night Selina ventures the night in a makeshift Catwoman outfit, and pays a visit to Italian Capo Don Verinni, before she can even interrogate him , he dies from a Joker Juice laced wine and Catwoman's name soars to the top of the mafia's hit list.
- In Chapter 2, Selina has a second Batman Nightmare. When she awakens, the house is ablaze and she has to jump out of the third story window completely naked. The three relocate to the Blond's yacht, where two more attempts on Selina's life, one by a sniper and one by Don Verinni's son shooting Catwoman with Mr. Freeze's SubZero gun.
- In Chapter 3, after being freed from the block of ice, Catwoman breaks into the Vatican and steals the "Boss of all Bosses" ring, which gives control of the entire mafia over to the wearer, and is immediately knocked out by Supervillian the Cheetah.
- In Chapter 4, Hallucinates again, fights, and almost gets killed by The Cheetah.
- In chapter 5, Selina meets her possible mother Louisa Falcone, wife of Carmine Falcon, where she is disappointed, when Louisa states rather unconvincingly that she couldn't be her daughter. Catwoman hallucinates again, but she realizes five nightmares in five days is too much and realizes she's been hit with the scarecrow's fear toxin, by The Riddler.
- In Chapter 6, Catwoman has her final showdown with The Riddler, The Cheetah, The Scarecrow, and the man with Mr. Freeze's gun. The Riddler explains how he has been using this trip as a plot to learn Batman's identity, secrets about Selina, have her pay his tab, and acquire the "Boss of all bosses" Ring. Selina defeats them and with the yacht ablaze is saved by "The Blond", who had been ordered to kill Selina, but instead kisses her, now knowing her identity. "The Blond" actually has some proof that Selina may be Louisa's daughter.
In the last scene, Selina is standing at the airport gate waiting for "The Blond" to join. The Riddler appears, holds a knife to Selina's throat and makes her give him the ring. Selina double crosses him and actually gives him a fake ring laces with fear toxins. The Blond is killed for not taking out Selina, and Selina boards the plane.
The epilogue has Selina at Carmine Falcone's grave and explaining why she became Catwoman.
While not as critically acclaimed as the first two parts, it still has nothing but great reviews under its belt.
This comic provides examples of: