open/close all folders
- Portrayed by: Logan Lerman
- Guns vs. Swords: His first fight against Rochefort. Rochefort's guns win.
- The Lancer: Of the Musketeers, albeit being the protagonist.
- Limited Wardrobe: States to have only one set of clothes because his father is a poor man.
- Portrayed by: Matthew Macfayden
- Deadpan Snarker: The bitter version. He mocks the king ("He's a child, the Cardinal rules it all, might as well drink to him"), France ("We served it, fought for it and bled for it, look where it got us"), love and friendship ("a word of advice, boy: trust no one") while D'Artagnan attempts to propose what they should drink to.
- Knight in Sour Armor: He ultimately decides to remain a musketeer; even with all the cons, he still has faith in themselves.
- The Strategist: He comes up with the plans.
- Supporting Leader: He's the leader of the musketeers, but not the protagonist.
- Portrayed by: Ray Stevenson
- Combat Pragmatist: Rarely has to draw his sword.
- I Surrender, Suckers: His favorite tactic, according to Milady. It works very well, as seen in Venice.
- Portrayed by: Luke Evans
- Death from Above: His specialty is attacking the enemy from above.
Milady de Winter
- Portrayed by: Milla Jovovich
- Consummate Liar: Buckingham even lampshades this by asking her what her favorite color is just to see if she's even capable of telling the truth.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Justified, she used to work alongside the Musketeers so she fully knows what they're capable of.
- Disney Villain Death: Jumps off an airship to her death... or so it seems. Turns out she's Not Quite Dead.
- The Heavy: Her betrayal sets the plot in motion and she's the most active villain.
- I Have Many Names: Apart from being called either Milady de Winter or simply Milady throughout the movie, some of her many names are summarized by Athos."Comtesse de Winter, Charlotte Backson, Anne de Breuil, Lady Clarick... Milady."
- The Lancer: Of the Musketeers. Previously.
- Fourth Ranger Traitor: She used to be an ally of the Musketeers... until she was made a better offer.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Her answer to the booby-trapped vault corridor in Venice. It works.
- Not Quite Dead: So she didn't drown in the English Channel. Buckingham's men saved her.
- Nothing Personal: She uses this to justify her early Face–Heel Turn.
- Portrayed by: Christoph Waltz
- Authority Equals Asskicking: His swordmanship is really quite formidable. Pity it's displayed so little.
- Chess Motifs: And he claims hisself is the only opponent challenging enough
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He is fully aware of Milady's Chronic Backstabbing Disorder and reminds her that he's more than willing to see she's Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves if she even thinks of betraying him. Also this little gem when the Queen confronts him:
- The Unfought: To the point of a Karma Houdini.
- What Is Evil?: "Evil's just a point of view."
- Worthy Opponent: Claims to play chess against himself because he can't find one.
Duke of Buckingham
- Portrayed by: Orlando Bloom
- Bring Him to Me: Milady warns him against this, but he does it anyway. Doesn't end up well for him.
- Gunboat Diplomacy: Revealing to France that you possess an airship by landing it in the middle of a parade formation at Versailles for a peaceful visit is hard to beat.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The musketeers use his own war machine to defeat him at the Tower of London.
- The Scapegoat: Richelieu intends to use him as one, and almost succeeds too.
- Portrayed by: Mads Mikkelsen
- Bad Boss: He is prone to hitting and even killing his own men for making mistakes or questioning orders.
- Portrayed by: James Corden
King Louis XIII
- Portrayed by: Freddie Fox
- Camp Straight: A fashion faux pas isn't just about his reputation as king, he throws hissy fits about it.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Asks some advice from D'Artagnan.
- I Have This Friend: When asking for romantic advice. Bonus points for slipping up and referring to himself halfway through.
- Portrayed by: Juno Temple
- Good Is Not Dumb: She's the only one who seems to suspect Richelieu.
- Portrayed by: Gabriella Wilde