It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Characters: The Passage First Colony
open/close all folders
The overseer of the Colony and father of Mausami, Sanjay is mostly an efficient leader but strongly dislikes the Jaxon family due to their perceived responsibility in his brother's death. He's one of the first to be manipulated by Babcock, having had dreams of him since he was a child.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Via Babcock's mind control.
- Character Death: His death is vague, but it's confirmed in The Twelve that he was killed when the Homeland attacked.
- Hearing Voices: For much of his life, Babcock has been whispering in his ear and controlling him from afar.
- Hidden Depths: He's had a somewhat tragic life; widely disliked despite his best intentions, brainwashed from an early age by Babcock, never feeling he had the respect of his brother who was killed and having gone through numerous stillborns with his wife.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sanjay has good intentions, despite his irritation at the Jaxons and his impatience.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Babcock, who has been with him since he was a child.
- Overprotective Dad: Although considering Mausami got pregnant with another man's child while married, maybe he should've been a little better at being overprotective.
- Papa Wolf: For Mausami.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: In many ways, except when it comes to the Jaxons.
- Unwitting Pawn: Of Babcock.
- Sanity Slippage: Thanks to Babcock, who plays with his mind like it's a rubik's cube.
- Sleepwalking: As Babcock takes more and more control of him, Sanjay begins sleepwalking frequently.
- Wasteland Elder: He's the one in charge of the Colony, as the most active member of the Household.
One of the oldest members of the Colony and a member of the Household. He was once in charge of the Colony, and his word still carries a great deal of weight.
- Cool Old Guy: He's a gentle, reasonable old fellow with a great deal of sympathy and understanding.
Walter 'Walt' Fisher
Sara and Michael's uncle and member of the Household. He's a notorious drunk with very little interest in the day-to-day workings of the Colony.
The stern Captain of the Watch with a hidden soft spot.
- Honor Before Reason: She resigns from the Captain of the Watch, despite nobody blaming her and nobody wanting her to leave. She does so out of personal shame.
James 'Jimmy' Molyneau
A member of the Watch.
Mausami's loyal but not well-respected husband.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: He turns up at the end of The Passage as a Viral.
- Butt Monkey: Nothing ever goes right for poor Galen. He's got lots of problems and nobody is sympathetic to him until his death.
- Cosmic Plaything: Galen does not have a good life. He's not respected by the Colony, his wife doesn't love him and even resents him, his child isn't his and to top it off he's slowly going blind.
- Love Martyr: Kind of. Mausami isn't exactly unlikable or severely disturbed, but Galen is well-aware that she loves Theo instead of him.
- Romantic Runner-Up: To Theo. Galen never stood much of a chance.
Hollis' twin brother.
Ida 'Auntie' Jaxon
The oldest member of the Colony, she lives alone and records her memories in books. It's unclear if she's senile or more aware than everyone else.
- Character Death: When the lights go out at last, Auntie sits outside her home and gazes up at the stars before expiring, just like she'd hoped to do.
- Hermit Guru: She stays seperate from much of the Colony, although people often go to her for advice.
- Lethal Chef: Her tea is notoriously horrible.
- Obfuscating Insanity: It's unclear to Peter and others whether she's suffering from dementia or is more clued in than anyone else in the Colony.
A blind, overweight Colony member who works with Michael.
- Character Death: Other Colony members form an angry mob and end up throwing Elton over the wall in a misguided attempt at revenge for...just being friends with Michael.
- Dirty Old Man: He often regales an unfortunate Michael with the sex dreams he's had.
Colonel Niles Coffee
A mysterious member of the Colony and Alicia's guardian.
- Badass Grandpa: The man had a necklace of vampire teeth.
- Character Death: The Colonel ventures outside the wall, running directly toward a group of Virals and getting himself killed.
- Shrouded in Myth: Nobody in the Colony knew much of anything about him, save for Alicia. Among the Expeditionary, he's regarded as an almost mythic figure.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: To Alicia. He left her outside the Colony, unarmed, for an entire night as part of her 'training'.
Sanjay's meek and gossipy wife.
- Beware the Nice Ones: After Mausami leaves, the otherwise timid Gloria becomes rather vicious, demanding blood and convincing everyone else to kill Colony members she blames in some way, like Elton.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: She's the reason Sanjay knew about the guns.
One of Sanjay's cousins.
- Character Death: He's killed during the Homeland's attack on the Colony.
- Morality Pet: He has a child in the Sanctuary, hence the reason for his anger toward Alicia. Peter even reflects that Ian has every right to be pissed off and wanting to see Alicia pay for opening the gate.
- Stupid Boss: As a leader, he's incompetent and does not command any respect.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Ian isn't exactly an evil tyrant, but he's completely unable to maintain any control as a leader. Under his leadership, the Colony quickly falls apart from the inside.
Click here to return to the main character page
Demetrius 'Demo' Jaxon
Peter and Theo's father, who disappeared on one of the 'Long Walks'.