Characters: The Next Food Network Star
open/close all folders
Judges and Mentors
- Big Applesauce
- Fiery Redhead
- The Kirk
- Jerkass Fašade: He's harsh with the contestants, but it's because he sincerely wants to push them to do their best work.
- Self-Made Man: Bobby came from a hard-scrabble existence in a rough neighborhood of the Bronx, dropped out of high school, and fell in with a bad crowd, by his own admission. But then he got a job at a restaurant and realized he loved it. He finally had a long-term goal, and he began working hard to become the best chef and entrepreneur he could be. He built himself up into the celebrity chef he is today through Horatio Alger-style hard work. Quite admirable.
- Stern Teacher
- But Now I Must Go: In Season 6 she's brought aboard as a mentor to the contestants during the Los Angeles portion of the season; when the contestants go to New York for the final leg of the journey, Giada wishes them good luck and encourages them to remember everything they've learned.
- Cool Teacher
- The McCoy
- Perpetual Smiler
- Team Mom
- Bowties Are Cool
- Deadpan Snarker
- Formerly Fat: Alton describes himself this way and it becomes important in Season 8 when he goes to bat for the also-Formerly Fat Judson and expresses how a lot of people could relate to Judson's story.
- One of Us: Which ties into the above bowtie reference.
- The Spock
- Stern Teacher: But still a...
- Cool Teacher: Oh yes.
Aaron McCargo Jr.
- Full-Name Basis: It's hard not to say it as such.
- House Wife: And proud.
- But Not Too Foreign: Once she got her show, Executive Meddling chenged what she may have actually wanted to do.
- Nice Girl
- Adorkable: Depending on how you look at it.
- But Not Too Foreign: Averted. With Herb, they wanted him to act more foreign.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Though it always seems the people who don't win disappear, the winner and the other runner up, Aarti and Tom, both got their own shows, while Herb was just as good a cook.
- Lovable Jock: He is very muscular, and a personal trainer, though he can hardly stand being separated from his familt for so long.
- Nice Guy
- Breakout Character: He's definitely a character, which is likely why they tried to get him his own spin-off. Didn't quite work out too well, though.
- The Runner Up Takes It All: Open to interpretation on whether or not this was attempted. Aarti's show was still more of a success.
- Deadpan Snarker: And a former comedian.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: In-series and out.
- Martial Arts Headband: Wears one to stop sweat from getting in his food.
- Nice Guy
- Absolute Cleavage: THIS IS NOT DONE ACCIDENTALLY. She believes people like to see that from her, which is why she likes wearing tanktops or leaving buttons undone.
- Alpha Bitch
- The Bully
- Gainaxing: Out of all the contestants, yes, her.
- Insufferable Genius: With GREAT emphasis on insufferable. Her food is alright, but it's her personality.
- Mrs. Robinson
- The Scrappy: A pretty blatant example. Take a look at the YMMV page, she's got quite a big section.
Vic "Vegas" Moea
- Gentle Giant: He's extremely muscular, shaved, and covered in tattoos, but he's one of the nicest contestants.
- Momma's Boy: The proposed title for his show.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Though he's not actually a bad boy. He might look like one, though.
- Real Men Wear Pink
- Team Switzerland
Mary Beth Albright
Notable Team Alton Members:
- Alliterative Name
- Catch Phrase: "Retro Rad", she said it about five times during her first producer challenge.
- The Fabulous Fifties
- Genki Girl
- Hipster: He is called this by the judges.
- Like a Son to Me: He seemingly is this to Alton which leads to...
- Like Father, Like Son: The judges love to compare them.
- Running Gag: The constant question of whether or not he uses lipstick. He has stated that he doesn't, and that his lip color is from the frequent use of Burt's Beesnote .
- Cool Old Lady: She seems to think of herself as this, but she is not all that old.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Her food never looks all too appealing, but it doesn't seem to taste too horrible. She also has had a number of dishes that weren't well liked.
- Expy: She is basically a cross between Paula Dean and the Pioneer Woman — who cannot cook all too well.
- Motor Mouth: She just talks, and talks, and talks, to the detriment of her team.
- Not Quite Saved Enough: The judges decide to let her make a pilot rather than eliminate her in the penultimate episode, only for her to be the lowest scoring contestant in the national poll. Also a notable subversion of Creator's Pet, since despite her being put through she still didn't win.
- Southern Belle
- Alliterative Name
- Dreadlock Rasta
- The Quiet One: He is much more quiet in comparison to the rest of his team. It makes him somewhat mysterious.
- Brooklyn Rage
- Butch Lesbian: Acts like this despite not being confirmed to be gay.
- Distaff Counterpart: Of Guy Fieri, which gets lampshaded by him.
- See here.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Hey, It's That Guy!: You might recognize him from Iron Chef America, where he beat Bobby Flay.
- Hey, It's That Girl!: Yes, this is the same Lovely that competed on season 6 of Hell's Kitchen.
- Lethal Chef: The mini-arc in episode four concerning the rise and fall of her "doughnuts" made from store bought pizza dough which she's rolled into super-dense wads and deep fried before dunking in cinnamon and sugar certainly made her seem this way. Nobody thought this was a good idea except for her. And she looked completely baffled and shattered when told by the judges that everyone found them inedible.
- Sassy Black Woman: While she's generally very nice, she can shift into this when necessary.
- 0% Approval Rating: In the first episode, her dial drops faster than anybody else's to begin with. In the second, she only attracts two people out of one hundred to her burger stand.
- Brainless Beauty: Definitely brainless most of the time, and she was a formal model.
- The Bully: Not afraid to share her opinion on the other contestants behind their backs. Nikki might be her most common victim.
- Dumb Blonde
- Femme Fatale: She joked in one episode that to attract people to her burger stand she would take off her shirt and hope they like what they see.
- Simpleton Voice
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Seems to be heading this way with Nikki.
- Genki Girl
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Focus seemed to be going this way in episode two, but Danushka's early elimination in episode three doesn't allow for much more exploration.