Characters / Much Ado About Nothing
The following are the characters of Much Ado About Nothing
Orphaned niece of Leonato.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Benedick.
- Broken Bird: Depending on the adaptation, her guilt for her mother's death may be emphasized. She may also have had her heart broken by Benedick in a previous entanglement.
- Deadpan Snarker: Effortless jabs seem to be her expertise.
- Genki Girl: She prides herself on being "all mirth and no matter".
- Stepford Snarker: The text indicates her discomfort with serious subjects, and she usually finds refuge in her witticisms.
- Tsundere: Though she initially only opens her mouth to mock him, virtually all she talks about is Benedick. Hero discusses how she is too proud to admit that she holds affection for him.
A soldier and favored companion of Don Pedro
A young war hero, friend to Benedick and companion to Don Pedro.
- Blue Blood: He's a count, unlike Benedick and Leonato, both of whom are plain 'signor'.
- Fourth Date Marriage: He mentions that his arrival in Messina was his second encounter with Hero, and yet he immediately thinks of marriage.
- Gullible Lemmings: The idea that anyone in the world might be lying seems to just never enter his head.
- Hot-Blooded: He accuses and shames Hero publicly, without having had as much as a private confrontation with her.
- Love at First Sight: Averted. The first time he met Hero, he was too preoccupied with the war to dwell on her. Only returned does he become infatuated.
- Break the Cutie: She is devastated upon her shaming and falls ill.
- Faking the Dead: In order to trick Claudio into forgiving the alleged adultery, Hero agrees to fake her own death.
- The Ingenue: Hero is not nearly as shrewd as her cousin, and forgives Claudio quite easily.
- Nice Girl: She participates in bringing Beatrice and Benedick together, and is arguably too forgiving for her own good.
- Proper Lady: Her status as such being contested forms the main conflict of the play.
The governor of Messina.
The Prince of Aragon.
- The Ace: Kind and a good general, he draws admiration wherever he goes.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Depending on the actor's performance, he may be interpreted as loving Beatrice.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Again, depending on the performance.
- The Matchmaker: Don Pedro just loves getting other couples together, whether it's courting Hero for the too-shy Claudio, or tricking Benedick and Beatrice into admitting their feelings for each other.
- Shipper on Deck: Don Pedro thinks Benedick and Beatrice would make a great couple, and sets out to make it happen.
Don Pedro's illegitimate half brother, who has just lost the war against the former and been forced into reconciliation.
The constable in charge of the nightwatch.
- Berserk Button: Slander against a Proper Lady is one. But DON'T call him an ass
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At least Michael Keaton's portrayal, who travels on an imaginary horse.
- Hidden Depths: A reluctant constable he is however when he realises something devious is afoot, he will uncover the truth of the matter.
- Malaproper: Watch his scenes with subtitles for maximum laughs. "We must examination these men!"