open/close all folders
QuentinThe leader of the gang. He is a cop and claims that he can read people's minds to tell if they are criminals or not.
- Ax-Crazy: He shows his true colors as the film goes on, killng successively Leaven then Worth and trying to kill Kazan.
- Decoy Protagonist: He is introduced as the benevolent and caring leader of the group. He isn't.
- Face–Heel Turn: He starts off as the hero of the film, but then he thinks that the others are against him, especially Holloway, so in the scene where she's hanging on the rope of clothes to check the outside of the building, the others pull her up. Quentin, who is at the front, holds her hand, he stares at her and then he lets her go. He then is the villain from there on forth.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's not hard to make him loses his cool.
- Jerkass: He gradually becomes less impatient and get more rude to the other members of ther group, insulting Holloway and Kazan, beating Worth and trying to get his way with Leaven.
- The Leader: He takes on this role from the start of the movie .
- Psychic Powers: Well, at least he thinks he has.
- Properly Paranoid
- Scary Black Man: And HOW!
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: By far the most profanic character in the film.
LeavenThe youngest and the brains of the operation. She multiply numbers in her head as the only way to get through the rooms is if the numbers of the small tunnel of each doorway is prime.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's REALLY mean to Kazan. Later she warms up to him.
- The Rainman: A much more normal example than most.
- The Smart Guy
David WorthThe one guy who everyone is suspicious of. He turns out to be the designer of the outer shell of the Cube.
- Deadpan Snarker: He is very sarcastic during the first part of the film, making fun of the already desperate situation.Quentin: Get over there and help her with him. That's your job: baby-sitter.Worth (saluting): Jawohl Kommandant.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Even after Leaven dies, Worth decides to stop Quentin from escaping even if it means he's going to die too.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While during the first part of the moveie, he is shown being very sarcastic towards the others, showing insensibility towards Rennes' death and even mocks Quentin for having hope to escape, he ends up helping them, and shows concern and kindness towards Leaven and Kazan. He even sacrifices himself to allow Kazan to escape.
- The Lancer: To Quinten who he constantly butts heads with, though their relationship is considerably more hostile than most examples of this trope.
- Straw Nihilist: Quentin even lampshades it:Quentin: Somebody has to take responsibility around here.Worth: And that somebody has to be you.Quentin: Not all of us have the luxury of playing nihilist.Worth: Not all of us are conceited enough to play hero.
Quentin: Why don't you tell us what your purpose was?Worth: I often wondered that myself.Worth: I wasn't exactly bursting with joie de vivre before I got here. Life just sucks in general.Quentin: For christ's sake Worth, why do you live for? Do you have a wife, or a girlfriend, or something?Worth: Nope. I've got a pretty fine collection of pornography.
- and several dialogues too:
Helen HollowayA free clinic doctor. She shows herself to be very hysterical and rants about conspiracy theories. She takes care of Kazan.
- Large Ham
- Mama Bear: To Kazan.
- Properly Paranoid: I WAS RIGHT! NO-ONE'S GONNA CALL ME PARANOID AGAIN!.
KazanA man with Autism. It turns out he can multiply even greater numbers in his head than Leaven.
- Character Tic: Being Autistic, he twitches his fingers and starts tapping his head with his hand if something distresses him.
- Final Girl: Male version.
- The Rainman: To the point where they actually take lines from the movie Rainman.
RennesAn escape artist who escaped seven prisons.
- Facial Horror: He gets sprayed in the face with acid.
AldersoThe first victim
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He is killed only five minutes after his introduction.