open/close all folders
- Five-Man Band: Quentin is The Leader, Worth The Lancer, Leaven (and Kazan) is The Smart Girl, Holloway is The Chick and Kazan The Big Guy.
- Last-Name Basis: We only get to know Worth and Holloway's first names in the movie (Leaven's first name is Joan but we never hear it in the movie itself).
QuentinThe leader of the gang. He is a cop and claims that he can read people's minds to tell if they are criminals or not.
- Abhorrent Admirer: He becomes this to Leaven when he goes crazy.
- Abusive Parents: Given his reaction to Holloway's accusation, he might be one.
- Asshole Victim: Obviously. From letting Holloway fall to her death, to actively killing Leaven and stabbing Worth, he was the only one who deserved to be in the Cube in the first place. Definitely deserved getting crushed between the walls.
- Ax-Crazy: He shows his true colors as the film goes on, killng successively Leaven then Worth and trying to kill Kazan.
- Decoy Protagonist: He is introduced as the benevolent and caring leader of the group. He isn't.
- Diabolus ex Machina: The chances of Quentin being in the room right next to the bridge room where the other characters are is about 20,000 to 1, considering that the rooms move around.
- Domestic Abuser: It's implied that Quentin's wife left him because of his violent temper and that he was also abusive to his children.
- Face–Heel Turn: He starts off as the hero of the film, but then he thinks that the others are against him, especially Holloway, so in the scene where she's hanging on the rope of clothes to check the outside of the building, the others pull her up. Quentin, who is at the front, holds her hand, he stares at her and then he lets her go. He then is the villain from there on forth.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's not hard to make him lose his cool.
- Jerkass: He gradually becomes less impatient and get more rude to the other members of ther group, insulting Holloway and Kazan, beating Worth and trying to get his way with Leaven.
- Last-Name Basis: We never get to know his first name.
- The Leader: He takes on this role from the start of the movie. Later loses it after he kills Holloway.
- Psychic Powers: Well, at least he thinks he has.
- Properly Paranoid: Suspect Worth of having some connecion to the Cube and is proven right.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Tries to inflict this on Leaven which causes him to be ejected from the group.
- Scary Black Man: And HOW!
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: By far the most profanic character in the film.
LeavenThe youngest and the brains of the operation. She multiply numbers in her head as the only way to get through the rooms is if the numbers of the small tunnel of each doorway is prime.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's REALLY mean to Kazan. Later she warms up to him.
- The Rain Man: A much more normal example than most.
- The Smart Girl: She studies maths and is the one who decipher the numbers.
David WorthThe one guy who everyone is suspicious of. He turns out to be the designer of the outer shell of the Cube.
- Anti-Hero: At first, he gets better though.
- Butt-Monkey: As the film goes on and Quentin loses his calm, Worth becomes Quentin's punching-ball and way of testing the rooms.
- Deadpan Snarker: He is very sarcastic during the first part of the film, making fun of the already desperate situation.Quentin: Get over there and help her with him. That's your job: baby-sitter.Worth (with a german accent): Jawohl Kommandant. (salute)
- Heroic Sacrifice: Even after Leaven dies, Worth decides to stop Quentin from escaping even if it means he's going to die too, saving Kazan.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While originally being depicted as very sarcastic towards the other members of the group, showing insensibility towards Rennes' death and mocking Quentin for having hope to escape, he ends up helping them, and shows concern and kindness towards Leaven and Kazan. He even sacrifices himself to allow Kazan to escape.
- The Lancer: To Quentin who he constantly butts heads with, though their relationship is considerably more hostile than most examples of this trope.
- Laughing Mad: Has one when rediscovering the corpse of Rennes.
- Oh, Crap! / Big "NO!": When Quentin kills Leaven.
- The Reveal: He's actually the designer of the outer shell of the Cube.
- Straw Nihilist: Quentin even lampshades it:Quentin: Somebody has to take responsibility around here.Worth: And that somebody has to be you.Quentin: Not all of us have the luxury of playing nihilist.
Quentin: Why don't you tell us what your purpose was?Worth: I often wondered that myself.Worth: I wasn't exactly bursting with joie de vivre before I got here. Life just sucks in general.Quentin: For christ's sake Worth, why do you live for? Do you have a wife, or a girlfriend, or something?Worth: Nope. I've got a pretty fine collection of pornography.Worth: You think we matter? We don't.Worth: I have nothing... to live for out there.
- and several dialogues too:
Helen HollowayA free clinic doctor. She shows herself to be very hysterical and rants about conspiracy theories. She takes care of Kazan.
- Conspiracy Theorist: She was one before entering the Cube and thinks that it was created by the government using their taxes.
- The Heart: She's the most morally balanced of the group, she refuses at any moment to leave Kazan even if it can costs her her life.
- Large Ham: She shouts, a lot.
- Mama Bear: To Kazan.
- The Medic: She treats the wounds of the members of the group, and later takes care of Kazan.
- Properly Paranoid: I WAS RIGHT! NO-ONE'S GONNA CALL ME PARANOID AGAIN!.
KazanA man with Autism. It turns out he can multiply even greater numbers in his head than Leaven.
- Character Tic: Being Autistic, he twitches his fingers and starts tapping his head with his hand if something distresses him.
- Final Girl: Male version.
- The Rain Man: To the point where they actually take lines from the movie Rainman.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He really likes chewing-gums.
RennesA french escape artist nicknamed "The Wren" who escaped seven prisons.
- Facial Horror: He gets sprayed in the face with acid.
- Famous Last Words: "Merde...".
- Foreign Cuss Word
- Oh, Crap!: His last word.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed shortly after his first appearence.