Characters / Bloody Urban
Characters of Bloody Urban
Ostensibly the series' main character, Murray is a nervous, awkward werewolf who moved to Sydney from Dublin, Ireland. Arguably one of the most level-headed members of the cast, to say nothing of the company he keeps.
Shannon 'Shaz' Arcuni
A ghoul, and Murray's co-worker and best friend. Self-described mad genius, obsessed with eating, chainsaws and True Art. Not to be left around corpses or animals.
- Ambiguous Gender: Shaz is genderfluid and referred to in-universe with alternating male, female and neutral pronouns.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Charcoal gray with dark green patches.
- Animal Eyes: Yellow, with slitted pupils
- Animal Motifs: Although ghouls are usually associated with hyenas, Shaz also has a lot of snake-like attributes, such as a forked tongue, slitted pupils, an outfit of mostly green clothes, and the ability to swallow people whole.
- Fun T-Shirt: including a zazzle shirt which you can actually buy
- Race Lift: A fantasy variation- in the earlier comics Shaz was a vampire, then they got retconned into a ghoul.
- You Are Who You Eat: They can transform into anyone they eat, Murray once gave them his tonsils in a jar so they could sub for him when he had the flu.
Murray's girlfriend; a crass, hot-headed female vampire with blue skin and a deformed face, who is 116 years old but emotionally about 12.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Light blue, but it darkens to a more realistic shade when she feeds on blood. Being of African heritage, she averts the usual 'white people only' clause of the trope.
- Compelling Voice: When she uses it, her speech balloons (and those of the people she's hypnotising) are purple with a white outline.
- Fang Thpeak: Has fangs in the front which give her a speech impediment.
- Fantastic Religious Weirdness: Camille is presumably a pagan, since she celebrates the solstice instead of Christmas.
- Game Face: When using her powers (or even just when she's angry) her eyes become solid orange.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's extremely flippant and selfish at times but seems to genuinely care about Murray.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Downplayed- she's more amoral than psychopathic, but she definitely acts a lot younger and brattier than you would expect a hundred-year-old vampire to act.
- Terrified of Germs: Murray says she has a 'thing' about coming into contact with human fluids that aren't blood and purposely avoids him while he's sick.
Shannon's vampiric ex-roommate, a laid back, dirty-looking stoner with a blue, leech-like appendage in place of a tongue.
- Body Horror: That barbed proboscis that comes out of his mouth? That's not actually his tongue. That's an extension of his throat.
An eccentric, childish Russian college student in her early 20's, and perennially-drunk flatmate of Libby.
- Funetik Aksent: Her Russian accent is rendered stylistically as doubled v's instead of w's and backwards capital R's
- Fun T-Shirt: Usually either wears a shirt with a picture of bacon on it, or one depicting a T-Rex flying in space with the words 'It's Possible' written under it.
- Genius Ditz: According to her character dossier, she's really good at physics and math.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Very rarely is she seen without a vodka bottle on hand. She even pours it onto her popcorn.
Angelica's roommate, a very attractive but ill-tempered Mad Veterinarian whose interests are motorcycles, animal rights and Ancient Astronauts
- Hollywood Athiest: She even says 'Charles Darwin' in situations where most people would say 'Jesus Christ'.
- Hollywood Autism: Zelda has explained on her blog that Libby is on the autism spectrum. While she does have some stereotypically autistic traits -i.e. her uncomfortably blunt demeanour, advanced intelligence, preference of animals over people, and insistence on wearing surgical gloves and sunglasses 24/7- she's portrayed as being more cool and likeable than most autistic characters in fiction.
- Kindly Vet: Played with- we haven't seen what she's like at work, but during her time off she does absolutely nothing to hide the fact that she despises people (and dolphins).
Marvin the Velociraptor
Libby's pet dinosaur.
- Raptor Attack: Averted, Marvin is about the size of a turkey and is mostly harmless.
Shannon and Murray's Token Human
coworker. Sometimes the audience surrogate (on facial expressions alone), loves pink things and kittens.
- Transsexual: Jenna was assigned male at birth. This was just Word of Gay for a while, but in her recent appearances she definitely looks a lot less cis than she did originally.
Another coworker of Murray's, Eric is a badly constructed Frankenstein's Monster
who currently possesses the brain of advertising legend Leo Burnett and is sick of everyone else’s shenanigans..
- Creating Life: Performed by a bunch of heavily stoned med students, hence his hilariously deformed appearance.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Nobody could argue that Eric looks normal.
Another commonly seen coworker at NTBD