Kei Kusanagi, an Ordinary High School Student
, has just seen an alien.
Problem is, she's just announced herself as his new Homeroom teacher, Mizuho Kazami. And she just moved in next door.
And the last time he saw her, she tried to wipe his memory of her existence
One would think a situation like this would not end well, but a few hijinks later, they end up married after Kei reveals that he's older than he looks
to help keep her position (and to prevent a situation
from being taken the wrong way
Unfortunately, now they have to keep his age, her origins, and their marriage a secret from Kei's friends, which is going to be difficult, as one of them is starting to get aggressive in trying to catch Kei's attention.Please Twins!
spun off from this, involving different characters at the same school. Ano Natsu De Matteru
is the third anime series of the franchise, with new characters.
The series show examples of
- Angst Coma: They have the power to suspend aging.
- Anime First
- Anticlimactic Parent
- Baker's Dozen
- Beach Episode: Episode 5, which is also Kei and Mizuho's honeymoon. No one they know is supposed to be there, but of course, Kei's friends and one of the other teachers all just also happened to be there as well...
- Bland Name Product: Famous Brands such as "Pochy". A poster for the movie Titania can also be seen in episode 4.
- Bromantic Foil: Hyosuke
- But Not Too Foreign: Kaede is one quarter Irish.
- Chained to a Bed: Happens to Kei in the OVA
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Konoha, Kei's aunt, acts this way too whenever her husband talks about how jealous he of Kei's romances. She usually hits him since he often says it within hearing range of her.
- Maho isn't too happy that her sister Mizuho is married to Kei either. Although she accepts his relationship later, she steals a kiss from him, while in sight of Mizuho. Mizuho responds by crying.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Happens ALL the time, once with Kei to Ichigo, and quite frequently, Mizuho to Kei due to Kei's Angst Coma disorder.
- Cry Cute: Mizuho looks so adorable when she's crying.
- Date Peepers: Mizuho spies on Kei during his "date" with Koishi. Ichigo and Kaede also spy on them separately.
- Deliberately Bad Example: Parodied and Lampshaded with Matagu.
- Double Standard: Rape—Female on Male: Okay it doesn't go as far as actual sex and she was trying to add spice to Kei's life with Mizuho but in the OVA Hatsuho forces Kei to go with her to a love hotel and ties him to a bed while looming over him with something that looks suspiciously like a dildo while he makes his displeasure clear. Were the genders reversed this would be very creepy.
- Dude Hes Like In A Coma: Mizuho kisses Kei for the first time while he's in a standstill (it was Kei's first kiss too!)
- Little Miss Snarker: Ichigo.
- Love Obstructing Parents
- Mizuho's little sis Maho is the very model of Obnoxious In Law. Meanwhile, her mom Hatsuho...
- Ecchi: This goes to extremes and very very VERY close to hentai in the epilogue episode. So close that anyone that forgets that this isn't an H-anime would probably be disappointed.
- Emotionless Girl: Ichigo appears to be so, but she has her reasons...
- Fanservice: Clearly. One look at the title character, and no arguments can be made.
- First Girl Wins: Mizuho
- Half-Human Hybrid: Mizuho and Maho.
- Happily Married: Subverted, but eventually affirmed as Kei and Mizuho's initially rocky relationship slowly develops
- Henpecked Husband: Minoru, Kei's uncle. Any time he mentions being jealous of Kei's romances, his wife tends to hit him.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Mizuho is Belldandy, Nanase and Sanae.
- Hopeless Suitor: Poor Koishi. Her only possible chance would've been to act in episode 1, but after that, it's obvious who Kei is going to have to end up with.
- Hot Mom: Mizuho's mother, Hatsuho.
- Ill Boy: Played with: Kei's Angst Coma disorder is not debilitating or life-threatening but they have to keep it a secret because it could unravel all of their other secrets as well. It does worry Mizuho every time he keels over, though.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Perhaps not fully applied given as how each remotely attractive female on the show (that is to say, all of them) has at least some idea of the influence her looks have, but there are plenty of times where they don't realize the effect they have.
- Interspecies Romance
- Legal Jailbait: Morino Ichigo, 21 years old and stuck in the body of a 15 year old after spending 6 years in a coma.
- Love Hotels
- The Matchmaker: Ichigo
- Modern Stasis: Although it's stated that it's years since the first manned mission to Mars in 2009, the world at large still looks like the present.
- Moment Killer: You'll lose track of how often this happens.
- Not What It Looks Like: Used at least once (if not more) in practically every single episode. Not to mention that it basically fuels the plot 90% of the time. (The rest of the time it is what it looks like and they have to pretend it isn't.)
- Older Than They Look: Kei and Ichigo
- Personal Seals
- Primal Scene: Done for Maho for humor, possibly due to alien biology causing her to be Older Than They Look. She makes films of Kei and Mizuho's night life and blackmails him using them. Apparently Hatsuho doesn't know this as she does the exact same thing when she sets them up in a Love Hotel and Maho says she wants to see the video chips, which the former says are for "adults only."
- An alternative possibility is that Maho didn't film anything, but Hatsuho told her to blackmail Kei by pretending she had. Maho is shown later asking Hatsuho why her scheme was so elaborate that she actually had a script for it,DF to which her mother's reply is also rather cryptic. Maho may not have had any idea what was actually supposed to be on the video chips she showed Kei.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Mizuho in teacher mode. An Onegai trademark.
- Relationship Upgrade: Happens to Kaede and Hyosuke
- In the manga version: Ichigo and Hyosuke
- Secret Relationship: Kei and Mizuho can't be open about their marriage largely because it'll be seen the wrong way by both the faculty (aside from the principal who already knows but tells the two not to openly show feelings for each other in public), and Kei's friends. Hilarity Ensues a lot due to this trope.
- Shipper on Deck: Ichigo does this for Kei and Koishi. And later Kaede and Hyosuke.
- Shout Out: To Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter Robo, of all things.
- Strong Family Resemblance
- Teacher/Student Romance: Obviously the title characters and the plot of the series. Furthermore, they get away with this because not only is Kei really 18 (and therefore legally old enough to marry the teacher), the school principal married a student as soon as she graduated and sympathizes with them. Kei gets creeped out.
- Token Mini Moe: Ichigo
- Trademark Favorite Food: Mizuho's "Pochy" sticks.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: Mizuho's human father was a member of the first attempted manned Mars mission, which is stated to have occurred in 2009. Assuming she ages the same as normal humans, the earliest this series could take place would be the early 2030s.
- Which is weird due to the apparent lack of cellphones.
- Wistful Amnesia
- X Meets Y: Word Of God states that this show is Dustin Hoffman's The Graduate meets My Stepmother Is An Alien.