Haō Taikei Ryū Knight (覇王大系リューナイト Haō Taikei Ryū Naito, lit. "Lord of Lords Ryu Knight") is an anime produced by Sunrise and ran through 1994 through 1995 with a total of 52 episodes.The story starts off with a knight-in-training named Adeu, who is looking to get to Earth Tear, a giant sword in the earth. He is accompanied by Sarutobi, a ninja, Paffy, a princess with magical powers, and Izumi, a noble priest with amazing strength.Together, they have amazing adventures and meet up with powerful enemies with their Ryus, suits of armor with great energy.Though not the most popular giant mecha anime, it was successful enough to get 3 OVAs and a video game. It also appeared in Super Robot Wars NEO.
Tropes used in this series:
- Awful Truth: Galden is half human, half Helldragon.
- Black Knight: Galden
- Black Magician Girl: Paffy.
- Catch Phrase: "Number one! A Knight must always [lesson]!"
- Demonic Possession: Izumi gets hit with this once.
- Eyes Always Shut: Izumi.
- Heel–Face Turn: Galden
- Heroic Sacrifice: Four of the eight heroes seemingly die, but they get better in the finale.
- Jerkass: Katze. She does get better eventually.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Most of the main characters suffer from this at one point, but Adeu gets the worst of it in the near-finale.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Adeu, sort of.
- Mini-Mecha: The Ryus. And they are RPG-class themed to boot!
- Ninja: Sarutobi.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The Helldragon tribe are basically reptilian aliens from outer space.
- Samurai: Gesshin.
- White Mage: Izumi.
- Why Did It Have To Be Ghosts: Izumi.