An OVA by AIC
based on Shirow Masamune
's short manga, released by Manga Entertainment
Anti-personnel robots have escaped after a plane crash. Specialists and the military are called to the site of the crash, but they can't figure out why the robots would have torn out of their cases - unless they were programmed to hunt someone. The others at the scene are Sybil and Richard, two investigative reporters looking for a scoop. They soon find themselves more involved in the case than they'd like, protecting a young girl, Paris, the inventor's granddaughter...
This OVA is notable for being one of Shirow's earliest works and his mark is quite clear on it, and its great animation due to his involvement. It combines action and comedy and also takes much inspiration from Terminator
Tropes related to the OVA:
- Action Girl: Sybil, full stop.
- City Noir
- Cluster S Bomb: Shit is apparently Sybil's favorite word, but she does get a Precision F-Strike to the police.
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!: The robots gut a grizzly bear and two hikers just to kill them.
- Cyber Punk
- Damsel in Distress: The scientist's granddaughter, lampshaded by Sybil.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: The female military leader.
- The Ditz: Paris
- Dumb Blonde: Paris
- Fainting: Paris faints at the most inconvenient times.
- Fanservice: Funny but totally gratuitous opening scene of Sybil naked.
- Fem Bot: The M-66 bots.
- Hot Scoop: Sybil
- Immune to Bullets: The M-66 androids.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja / Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The M-66 androids are basically killer robot ninjas. One's a robot kounichi for extra awesome.
- Intrepid Reporter: Sybil faces extreme danger to get the story and even saves the scientist's granddaughter from the title robot, making her a particularly Badass versions of the trope.
- Killer Robot
- Mad Scientist: In both the loony and angry sense.
- Mama Bear: Sybil's sort of odd about this with her protection of Paris.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: The scientist has the swirly and opaque variation.
- Product Placement: Funnily enough Sybil wears an Appleseed shirt.
- Red Shirt Reporter: Richard is flustered by the insane situations, but Sybil is competent enough to take it all.
- Robot Maid: The mad scientist builds them, and in one seen you only see the maid from behind and she gets blown up. This is enough for a shock, until you see she was a robot all along.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: The M-66 have the unbelievably fluidity of a ninja in their movements, but in terms of emotion, they're nothing but robots.
- Shout-Out: To Terminator, appropriately since a lot of the themes and plot are obviously inspired by it.
- Spoiled Brat: The granddaughter shows shades of this.
- Tank Top Tomboy: Sybil wears one while kicking back and drinking a beer, like a true Lad-ette.
- Tap on the Head: Attempted by Sybil, but were hands were tied and less effective so the only reaction from the potential victim was and annoyed "Bitch."
- Technology Porn: Along with Scenery Porn, standard for the author.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future
- X Marks the Hero: The woman in charge of the military's got this scar on her cheek.