Accidental Innuendo: Anime and Manga
- From the very first episode of Akikan!:
Melon: How dare you drink any juice other than mine?
Kakeru: Ahhh, you want me to 'drink' you, then?
- The Ambition of Oda Nobuna: "It's dark and hard... And it's got this gooey white stuff splashed on it..." note
- Although, by the look on her face and her voice, it certainly doesn't seem accidental; Innocent Innuendo may be closer.
- Chapter 53 of Attack on Titan has everyone worrying about how Eren can't harden. They're referring to his Titan form's crystallization ability, yes, but it's not hard to misinterpret.
- The theme song to the first season of Cardfight!! Vanguard is entirely in Gratuitous English, and some of it sounds... strange to native speakers. The following lines are probably supposed to be about the spirit of competition, but that's not what they sound like...
We can't hold back this feeling
Just any longer
Come on, tear off everything you've got
Get crazy way!
- It doesn't help that the lyrics are sung over images of Aichi and Kai, two characters with Ho Yay so strong, the series itself lampshades it.
- In the season Legion Mate Arc, the word Mate had become this, even to the Australian's standard. It's funny enough to say it to an opposite gender, but it's funnier to say it to another with the same gender.
- In Death Note, when Misa meets Light, she tells him "I don't care if all you do is use me," referring to using her as a weapon. Still, that's not the first thing that pops into anyone's mind. Given that she later explicitly offers herself sexually to Light (and was stalking his alter ego for months before they met), she may have been talking about sex as well.
- Demon King Daimao: "You are going to be his first. Isn't it nice?" Poor Junko.
- Tai from Digimon Adventure is especially guilty of this, particularly because of his tendency to say he needs to "hook up" with the others rather than use the much less sexual sounding "meet up". Examples of this include episode 22, in which he said he needed to "hook up" with the others, and episode 36, in which he told Sora to "hook up" with Matt. That definitely blew up in his face.
- Digimon Tamers: What Takato tells Jeri when he's trying to ask for her help regarding Growlmon's devolution in episode 9 can sound like he's having a very persistent erection.
- Dragon Ball Z: "Having these balls makes me feels something that resembles joy I think. I want to caress them..."
- "I hope my body can take it."
- A minor character in Fairy Tail has an unfortunate quirk that involves him rapidly shaking his right arm up and down.
Lancer: "You are as good as naked before my spear."
- There's a particular scene in the anime of Fruits Basket where Tohru is sick and Hatori needs to give her an injection of some sort. Shigure makes comments about the size of Hatori's needle, and Momiji says something along the lines of "You have to stop if she says it hurts!" The entire scene is just one giant innuendo.
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- During Mustang's fight with Lust, he makes a comment/threat about making her go down on her knees.
- At one point, Alphonse's armor is temporarily possessed by Pride. The official FUNimation sub has him saying "The homunculus Pride came inside my body," and remarking how it made his soul feel "icky" when he later tells Hohenheim what had happened. It really doesn't help that Pride himself is essentially a tentacle monster. Even more disturbing since Pride takes the form of a child during most of his non-tentacle monster screen time.
- Father wants Hohenheim to be part of his body, and is quite aggressive about it.
- Edward defeats Pride by transmuting himself as a Philosopher's Stone and "forcing his way inside" Pride. Both Ed and Pride are having an Out-of-Clothes Experience for this scene.
- In the English dub of the 2003 anime, there's Al saying that he doesn't remember what Ed's skin feels like, and a line about how Winry should care more about Ed's "human parts". Someone actually asked Vic Mignogna about this line, wondering what Ed meant by his "human parts", to which he replied "What was I thinking? I want to know what YOU were thinking!"
- Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu has Tessa (a submarine captain) say she's in the "water business" — which is Japanese slang for prostitution. The English version changed the line to "Getting wet is my business" to preserve the meaning.
- Fushigi Yuugi merits a place here as well.
Miaka: That's not all we're doing either!Friends: Hmmmmmm?
- Miaka, trapped in an illusion, finally gets the pseudo-guy of her dreams and kisses him. She tells her friends all about this, but before actually saying that they kissed:
- She then reveals the kiss by saying: "And we kissed too!" Cue hilarious expressions from her girlfriends.
- So prevalent in Garzeys W Ing that it makes one wonder just how much was on accident. A particularly astonishing example is Chris's proposed "group circular movement" and the exchange that follows.
- Numerous scenes in Geneshaft focus on women arguing over the right to "pilot the Shaft."
- Genesis of Aquarion: Tons due to the nature of merging. A notable one:
Fudou: "To merge is... TO EXPLODE!"
- The sequel has Andy telling MIX he wants to "Fill her hole." It's actually supposed to be poetical, in that he means the "hole in her heart" which is how he refers to the emotional pain she has from her family issues, which he called a hole in her heart that despite her power to seal open spaces or holes she can't fill herself. MIX of course thinks he's asking her for sex and gets majorly offended.
- Ghost in the Shell:
Batou: "If it looks like you've gone in too deep I'm pulling the plug and taking you home!"
- Gigantor: "Dick Strong penetrates deep into the mighty fortress!"
- Gunsmith Cats: Rally Vincent had to drive Bean Bandit's car once while sitting in the unconscious Bean's lap. She calls it "The worst ride I've ever had!" Which doesn't mean much from an innuendo perspective, since she's canonically a virgin.
- Haruhi Suzumiya:
- This quote from novel 8
Putting all her weight on my body, Haruhi then pushed me down to the floor. Haruhi rode me like a horse, getting in the mount position.
- A British English exclusive example from the Disappearance: "His spunk was nice and all"
- And from the movie:
Kyon: I haven't even tasted Haruhi's hot pot yet.
- This quote from novel 8
- The sword Tetsusaiga from InuYasha is astonishingly phallic. It even throbs with warmth when "awakened" and grows hair on its hilt. The sword is "awakened" by "protecting" a WOMAN. Plus powerful energies being "released" from it.
- Angelic Layer, (English dubbed):
"My hands are small. That's why my rice balls are so tiny!"It's Sunday. So no one's around...(after quite a bit of grunting)...Finished."
- Kimba the White Lion is full of them. Seriously, if you watch the series on YouTube and read the comments, half of them are about something involving sex.
- "Now I'm on top!!!"
- Legend of Galactic Heroes: Well, this is the internet.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima! Ayaka invites Negi to her 'Southern Paradise' referring to her private island. If it was anyone else it would be perfectly innocent, but Ayaka, well...
- The Mysterious Cities of Gold had a somewhat Squicky and really creepy one when Menator, leader of the Olmecs, captured the Power Trio of kids and assured them with the following line:
Oh, don't worry, we love children very much. We'll take good care of you. Heh, heh, heh.
- In Naruto Suigetsu once implied that Karin (who has an unhealthy obsession with Sasuke) had previously did... "something" to Sasuke before. Whatever this "something" may be. Like with some of these other examples, it's not certain if this was a genuine accident or more of a case of Getting Crap Past the Radar.
'Yes. I'm going to absorb the enzyme from your body into my own.
- Kimimaro to Juugo:
Tobi: I touch you, I win!
- Tobi to Naruto during their fight.
Naruto: There is a cup of ramen in my room, if that's okay.
- In The Last: Naruto The Movie, there is a funny one between Naruto and Hinata. Trying to give her present with an empty stomach, Hinata gets beyond embarrassed when it growls. Naruto tries to be kind to her as always but his choice of words come out quite wrong:
- Nurarihyon No Mago: This here is a... interesting choice of words.
Rikuo: Like I said, your heart and your body... entrust everything to me!!
- In Ouran High School Host Club Honey questions if Mori has been "Using him all this time" and if he's been "Rented for him"
- Par for the course in Pokémon.
Burgundy: "If I win, it'll be proven that I tasted [Ash] correctly, right?"Brock: "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, and these men are gonna do it with or without a beautiful girl at their side!"
- You could probably count the scene when Purrloin considers going out with Meowth and Oshawott. Oh, did I mention Purrloin is male and Meowth and Oshawott thought he was female?
- Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior: I'm sorry, but Magnemite bondage...?
- Pokemon3: Pikachu seems to REALLY like Ash's mom.
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea: "I'd let a fish lick me if it'd get me outta this wheelchair"
- The contract-making process in Puella Magi Madoka Magica has some of this. Sayaka's is probably the worst offender: she asks Kyubey to "do it," and he sticks his extendable ears inside her, prompting some anguished gasping. Then he tells her to "open yourself and accept it; this is your destiny" as she collapses onto the ground. It's no wonder he's a Memetic Molester.
- Unwittingly or not, the early Ranma ˝ English dub pulled a really nasty one in the episode introducing Kodachi: after cadging an extra scoop of ice cream, female Ranma goes down the street, licking it happily, while thinking to herself, "When it comes to eating out, being a girl's the only way to go!"
- In Rust Blaster, vampire Al can only use his weapon by drinking his friend's blood. The first time he does this, he's desperate, nearly dead, and accidentally takes too much. His friend tells him the first time hurt a lot, and asks him to be gentle next time.
- In Saint Seiya we have the infamous scene involving Shun heating up Hyoga's frozen body with his Cosmo, in a very suggestive way, at the Libra Temple.
- Saki: If you disregard (or, like Momo, don't know) that Hisa was going to challenge Yumi to a mahjong game, this exchange comes off as it.
Yumi: We got along well last night.Momo: Last night!? Got along well...!?Hisa: Let's do it again today.
- Chapter 6 of Sankarea gives the reader "Please treat my body carefully from now on... Furuya-kun."
doesn'thelps that she's trying to be all cute while saying that without knowing... Which immediately gets lampshaded by Chihiro.
- In School Rumble, Harima talks about his cousin Itoko to Yakumo and says something like "Of course I love her, she's my cousin". However 'itoko' also means cousin in Japanese, so Yakumo is hearing "I love her, she is MY Itoko". Yakumo is asking why Harima is living in Kusakabe Sensei(Itoko's) house. Harima, being the honest person that he is answered "She is my Itoko". Itoko is the Japanese of cousin. So he basically said "She, is my cousin" or "She is my Itoko". It takes a "What?" and rehearsal to make Yakumo understand the meaning.
- In s-CRY-ed Asuka Tachibana tends to talk about his balls a lot. Well, his floating green ones, anyway.
- In the beginning of Tokyo Underground, the hero is killed and then revived by the heroine. A massive beam of light is used to indicate his life returning to him. This much is fairly normal; however, the blast of light seems to be emanating from his crotch. Completely unintentional, but hilarious when noticed.
- Vampire Knight:
- This line said by Zero to Yuuki in chapter 72 of : "If you don't like my behavior then force me into submission." Though one could question if it was really accidental.
- Probably pushing it somewhat, but a lot of fans got a laugh out of chapter 60, where a random guard, upon seeing Zero carrying a girl, responded with the question "I take it you need a bed?"
- Sumire, from Venus Versus Virus, does this a lot. Lines like "I swear I'll never leave your side!" can be taken differently. However, this is a yuri manga so...
- In the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, there is definitely some questionable statements Jounouchi makes to Yuugi. One humorous lampshade example being when Yuugi mentions that their digital pets have the ability to mate and gain strength from each other (which is awkward in the first place) to which Jounouchi responds, "Yuugi and I must mate at once!" Honda comments in frustration that people overhearing might get the wrong idea.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: In the original, Edo (having the D-Hero deck), often says things like "the power of the D" or similar in reference to destiny. When "the D" is taken to be the OTHER one, some really hilarious accidents occur.
- The Seven Deadly Sins has this exchange:
- Every season of Senki Zesshou Symphogear has a tagline in (somewhat serviceable) english. The one for GX, the third season, is "Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist". While probably unintentional, it's amazingly appropriate given the series. The fanbase has naturally run with it.◊