Manga: Rust Blaster
"You can hear it, right? The sound... of the end of the world to come."A short manga by Toboso Yana, author of Black Butler. In a world where vampires and humans coexist, Aldred van Enviro, an energetic young vampire, attends the Millennium School as the sixth class squad leader. Al has so far been unable to manifest a Family Weapon, but otherwise his life is pretty normal... until a new student joins their group: the enigmatic and apparently human Kei Yosugata. Shortly after, fighting breaks out at the school, and Aldred finds himself in command of a very unusual weapon.
— Kei Yosugara
This manga provides examples of:
- All-Ghouls School: The Millennium School for vampires.
- Ambiguously Brown: Kodachi, who a villain describes as "over-tanned."
- Battle Couple: Kei and Al, although they never get around to becoming a couple.
- Bittersweet Ending: Not quite the way you might expect, though.
- But Now I Must Go
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: "You're not a thing, you know." And the cake.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: "It hurt the first time you did it. Can you be more gentle this time?"
- Evil Counterpart: Al and Kei vs. Septi and Sixth. Sixth, like Kei, transforms into a weapon for his partner.
- Exty Years from Now: The night with a double moon comes every thousand years.
- Equippable Ally: Kei.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Rabbi, who goes from The Bully to viciously murdering and consuming his fellow students.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: "Let's go! You have good legs, don't you?" A couple chapters later, Kei loses the ability to walk due to his Power Degeneration.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: The Token Mini-Moe does!
- Human Subspecies: Vampires. Except they're actually more like Demonic Invaders.
- Improvised Weapon: Al's introduction. NAILBAT!
- Killer Robot: Kagamimochi 26 stopped listening to Rengokuin when it "reached adolescence."
- Living Weapon: Kei is the sheath of a vampire-killing lance.
- Locked into Strangeness: As a child, Kei was dark haired. After becoming a Living Weapon, his hair turns white
- Mood Whiplash: Surprisingly frequent for such a short series.
- Near-Rape Experience: When Al loses control and almost bites Kodachi, it plays out a lot like an attempted rape.
- Our Vampires Are Different: For one thing, they possess "Family Weapons." Except Al.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Kodachi's family weapon is a fan.
- Power Degeneration: Kei's body breaks down whenever he transforms. Changing just three times left him permanently bound to a wheelchair, and it was said doing it any more would have destroyed his human body completely and left him a lance forever, which is why Al chose to forsake that weapon and go back to his nail bat; it wasn't worth killing his friend.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Aldred, and it isn't a trait of all vampires.
- Rule of Three: Kei transforms into the Holy Lance three times.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The seal.
- Stoic Woobie: Kei
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Played for Laughs when Rengokuin kidnaps Kei, then immediately played for horror during Kei's flashback."Even if I scream and beg the results are the same."
- Unorthodox Sheathing: Unorthodox is an... understatement. Al drinks Kei's blood, which turns him into a magical lance. Kei is described as both the lance itself and the lance's sheath.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman
- When He Smiles: Kei shares this trait with Ciel of Black Butler. Look at that face.