- Designated Hero: Both Risa and Florence, arguably. Risa is a manipulative bitch who leeches off of other players like no tomorrow, and Florence will kill other players at a whim and is a complete prick about it, getting an entire game shut down in the process. It's no wonder Merillian managed to find a band of people who hated Florence because of what he did to them.
- Jerkass Woobie: Risa and Florence act like assholes online to deal with the hideously abusive home lives they have. Risa is slowly becoming self-aware about this.
- Florence is a jerk, but it's hard not to feel bad for him when it's revealed that his father hates his guts just because he's "feminine". He is also implied to be physically abusive towards Florence.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Bob, a low-level bald, musclebound player. Clueless, guileless and friendly, he is adored whenever he shows up. He's a minor character for most of the comic, but joins the main cast's team for the tournament arc, and pulls off a stunning upset during his round.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Risa. While the readers are supposed to empathize with her due to her Break the Cutie ordeal, she can come off as unsympathetic to many of the readers as she just keeps pushing away everyone and anyone who tries to help, including Florence and Gideon. It also isn't helped by the fact that the whole scenario started due to a misunderstanding that could be resolved even just by talking to each other.
YMMV / Winter Moon