- Continuity Lockout: Averted with the fandom. While fans clearly know it's set after World Tour, the series itself hardly references the events that occured. No mention of Barb's World Tour, the division between the troll tribes in ancient times or Poppy & Branch's official relationship, etc. Finally subverted in Season 2, when the episode "Smooth Operator" makes explicit references to the movie, specifically about Chaz, Hickory and Barb.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Near literally, Chaz has gotten great amounts of this treatment after "Smooth Operator". Besides fans of the Trolls franchise already liking him, many were a little surprised at his turn as a villain, still finding him sympathetic because the trolls were somewhat insensitive about his self-expression, as well as taking his statement of being unbearably lonely as the unvarnished truth: he is the only Jazz Troll shown to be around. While every other subtribe is shown to have at least one other person to share their music with, Chaz is truly alone, and it's not unsympathetic to watch him do anything to make sure he'll never be alone again.
- Fandom-Specific Plot: Many fanfics about the show mainly revolve around the other tribe leaders and World Tour characters being more prominent and/or coming to visit Poppy and TrollsTopia in the future.
- Ho Yay: Ever since their interactions in "Branch Out of Water", a number of fans have made their own works revolved around shipping Branch and Synth.
- Tainted by the Preview: There was a notable amount of negative reception to promotional material, both from the absence of most characters introduced in World Tour and the fact that the new characters shown are considered to be too similar to them. Dante Crescendo and Synth got this the most, having nigh identical designs to their respective tribal leaders.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks!: Long-time My Little Pony fans noticed that the show's premise is undeniably similar to Season 8-onwards of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
YMMV / Trolls: TrollsTopia