- Fandom Nod: The Gems' speculations over what Steven is and where Rose has gone may be a nod to the fandom's Wild Mass Guessing over what was meant by Rose "giving up her physical form" and "becoming half of Steven".
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- Garnet's initial nervousness about showing Sapphire and Ruby to Steven is revealed: she did show them to him once, but ended up scaring him, because he thought Garnet just straight up disappeared.
- Similarly, Pearl's reluctance to hold baby Steven in "Steven's Birthday" is implied to be due to her nearly and intentionally killing him in this episode.
- Rose Quartz's admission in "Greg the Babysitter" that she found it hard to wrap her brain around what babies were becomes much more dramatic here, where it's clear that the other Crystal Gems have issues with the same concept, and it's part of what leads to the problems in the flashback.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Gems apparently have a history of stealing babies, given what happened in "Greg the Babysitter." Amethyst and Steven lampshade it.
- After a certain scene in "Change Your Mind," it seems Garnet was actually right on the money with Steven's form being a fusion.
- Moe: BABY STEVEN!
- Moral Event Horizon: Subverted. Pearl comes very close to doing this by removing Steven's gem in a misguided attempt to "resurrect" Rose, knowing full well that it will likely harm—if not kill—him (or at least cause him to vanish from existence entirely). She quickly realizes that she can't bring herself to do it, and breaks down.
- Unexpected Character: Ruby and Sapphire appearing is definitely not something a lot of people expected.
YMMV / Steven Universe S4E9 "Three Gems and a Baby"