- Harsher in Hindsight: The Female Changeling's declaration that no Changeling has ever harmed another, and her certainty Odo wouldn't either, are very painful in retrospect.
- He Really Can Act: The scene with Nog's big reveal to Sisko has an outstanding, star-making performance from Aron Eisenberg. Eisenberg cited it as his all-time favourite bit of his own acting.
- Shocking Moments: Odo's line "I'm in love with you". Especially since he initially didn't seem like he could even be capable of falling in love.
- Special Effects Failure: Nana Visitor opined that the crystal trap looking like "a big old hot fudge sundae, and my head was the cherry on top" undercut the seriousness of Kira's situation.
- Tear Jerker: Man, this is a sad one.
- Odo's Anguished Declaration of Love to Kira when he thinks that she's about to die, and she's desperately ordering him to leave before he gets killed too. And in the end, it was all just Odo being manipulated.
- Odo realizing that Kira telling him that she loves him too is something she would never say. As much as he loves her, he's accepted that she doesn't feel the same way, and he can't even talk to her about it.
- Nog revealing his true motivation for applying to Starfleet to Sisko. He basically Woobifies himself with one response:Sisko: Why is it so damned important that you get into Starfleet? Why are you doing this?!
- A small one towards the beginning, when it turns out Jake's immediate response upon hearing about Nog telling Sisko he wants to join Starfleet was to assume it was a prank and tell his father as much, undercutting Nog's attempts to convince Sisko of his sincerity. Even Nog's best friend, to a certain extent, looks at him and sees a Devious Ferengi before he sees a person.
YMMV / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 03 E 14 Heart Of Stone