- Harsher in Hindsight: Shane Dawson's character is bullied by the assholes at the party who call him "Pedo-Bear" for reporting pedophilia material he saw became this when a YouTube video took a joke he made out of context and accused him of being a pedophile.
- Les Yay: Invoked between Proxy and Ashley.
- Moral Event Horizon: It turns out that Smiley stalking Ashley throughout the film was just an elaborate prank by her friends and fake victims of Smiley to spread Smiley's urban legend. They (nearly) drive Ashley to suicide after emotionally and mentally torturing Ashley. When they think she's dead, they declare it a job well done (although Proxy does express some remorse at the last moment).
- Narm: When not Nightmare Fuel, the Smiley mask is this to some.
- A lot of the dialogue (especially when they reference internet culture) can be this, as most falls straight into the territory of Totally Radical. It's hard not to cringe just a bit when you hear someone say "I did it for the lulz" in a completely serious tone of voice outside of the internet.
- The entire concept of the film - an EMOTICON is a Slasher Movie villain.
- Can you really take the movie seriously when you see people like Shane Dawson and Toby Turner among the cast?
- Paranoia Fuel: Once Smiley kills the person you summoned him to kill, he'll come for YOU!
- Unintentional Period Piece: The meme culture that this movie is based around was almost completely dead by the end of 2013, and was on its way out even in 2012. As a whole, it is inextricably tied to the late 2000s and early 2010s.
- What The Hell, Casting Agency?: Some YouTubers in the cast like Shane Dawson and Tobuscus have gotten this reaction.
YMMV / Smiley