- It's the Same, So It Sucks: Critics were unkind to the first film, dismissing its plot beats as taken from other sports films.
- Sequelitis: The sequels completely abandon the competition aspect (and the few notable stars) in favor of schlocky direct-to-video underground fighting tournaments. That being said, some critics preferred the schlock of the sequels to the originals by-the-numbers sports tale.
- Retroactive Recognition: In Best of the Best 2, David Boreanaz briefly appears as a parking valet.
- Win the Crowd: Professional critics near-universally panned the first movie as a formulaic sports flick (at this point after more than a decade of Rocky movies). But it nonetheless developed enough of a cult following to spawn three sequels.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: James Earl Jones, karate coach. Hes the biggest actor in the movie by far but Jones is the last person one associates with karate (or more accurately, Taekwondo).
YMMV / Best of the Best