- Audience-Alienating Premise: Many Choices players were put off by the premise of a book dealing with pregnancy, either because they found the subject matter unappealing or because Choices in 2019 had already released a large number of books centering around marriage and babies as well as being the seventh new series in a row to star an only female protagonist. Additionally, LGBTQ players disliked the reveal that the main character becomes pregnant as the result of a sexual encounter with a man (as opposed to being artificially inseminated), which they felt limited their ability to define the main character's sexuality for themselves.
- Author's Saving Throw: After numerous complaints about Mariana's unprofessionalism and lack of competence regarding Jen's pregnancy in Book 1, the start of Book 2 has Mariana admit to her mistakes and promise to do better in the future.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Mayor Dixon's pet dog Boone is popular among players for his playful personality.
- The Scrappy: Mariana Castillo, Jen's doctor, is widely disliked for being extremely unprofessional (she practically salivates over Clint while in the process of giving Jen a checkup) and incompetent at her job (she somehow misses the fact that Jen is pregnant with twins).
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: For a story about a woman with an unexpected pregnancy, the story puts barely any focus on said pregnancy, with most of the plot revolving around Jen's attempts to help local businesses succeed and her pregnancy only receiving passing mention here and there. Many readers believe Jen's character arc could have been enhanced through internal conflict between her career ambitions and the unplanned nature of the pregnancy, the ramifications of the latter in society, and how she overcomes them.
YMMV / Baby Bump