- Hollywood Homely: Alex is portrayed this way, although nobody comments on it. His hair is messy, his fashion sense compared to the other characters is lacking, he is not in the movie star shape of the other male leads, and spends most of the film near tears. He starts jogging at the end to get in better shape and to help deal with his depression.
- Jerkass Woobie: Josh antagonizes just about everyone around him, but it's made clear it comes from a place of deep insecurity.
- So Okay, It's Average: The general consensus. Critics did not hate the film, but heavily criticized it for basically remaking the Cult Classic The Big Chill while bringing nothing new to the story. Specifically, while The Big Chill deals with the realization of former hippies that they have become yuppies, About Alex switches out hippies with millenials, and a five year gap instead of over a decade. Basically, the themes of The Big Chill don't translate to very well to the New '10s.
- Spiritual Successor: It's a millenial version of The Big Chill, and does not try to disguise it.
- Squick: Siri tenderly kissing Alex's sewn up wrist wounds.
YMMV / About Alex