Smashboards (alternatively Smash Boards with no space, originally Smash World Forums) is an website and forum dedicated to the Super Smash Bros. series. Smashboards is one of the most well-known Smash sites, and is known for having helped with such renowned tournaments as APEX and EVO. Smashboards is also one of the oldest Smash sites, having first gone up under the name Smash World Forums as early as 2002.
Smashboards has also spawned a Smash Wiki, and has had it's own podcast (the Smash World Podcast) since 2007. Because of it's highly active and large community, Smashboards has also spawned other sites, such as All Is Brawl (which has since been repurposed into the Nintendo Dojo). Smashboards is also the place where the advanced techniques in Melee (wavedashing, L-cancelling, etc.) were discovered and named.
This forum contains examples of:
- April Fools: As of April 1st, 2015, Smashboards has become Shaqboards, where all avatars are Shaquille O'Neil and anyone who refuses the Shaq is banned. This is obviously not any kind of April Fools' Day joke, no sirree.
- Thanks to the increasing amount of fire emeblem characters, in 2016 the site was changed to emblem boards, and 2 new tier lists were made; the waifu and husbando tier list. Also, everyone's avatars became fire emblem characters.
- Emergent Gameplay: A lot of the advanced techniques in Melee were discovered by Smashboards users.
- Gameplay Derailment: Wavedashing is the most widely known of these that originated on Smashboards.
- Scrappy Mechanic: Tripping is generally considered this.
- Tournament Play: Probably one of the most notable sites that support competetive Smash.
- Casual/Competitive Conflict : As with most forums, there's the crowd who prefer Brawl and it's more casual playstyle over Melee and it's more hardcore playstyle.
- They don't fight however, they just have 2 different sections on the site.
- Character Tiers: But, of course!
- Game-Breaker: Meta Knight was quickly discovered to be one in Brawl, which led to him being banned in tournament play for a while. With the nerf in For WiiU/3DS, this is no longer an issue. Unfortunately, Diddy Kong has risen to take Meta Knight's place.
- And after the first nerfs, then it was shiek. Then after the sheik nerfs, it was Bayonetta, with many people comparing her to brawl meta Knight with how good she is.
- Game Mod: Plenty to go over, but one of the most notable on the boards is Project M.