The Human Pet is an alternate reality game webseries that began YouTube uploads in 2006 and reached its conclusion in 2008.
The videos showcased a young man named Eric being kept against his will in a room with nothing but a mattress. His captor, Sam Deercot, also known as "The Codemaster", gave the audience the ability to help Eric survive through picking which food he could eat and how to filter the pond water he was given. Later videos were uploads of Eric's own personal vlogs, detailing some of his actions that led up to his capture.
This series contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents:
- Eric's father was mentioned as being abusive during his childhood, to both him and his sister. He outright refused to speak with Eric when he'd moved to Hollywood to pursue his acting career.
- In "This Video Will Take You To Hell", we learn about a child whose parents kept them locked in a room with a mattress, a broken TV, a litter box, and pet bowls. This child turned out to be Sam himself.
- Alternate Reality Game: Audience members participated by trying to help Eric, getting to ask Eric questions, cracking codes, and by digging up a secret tape that revealed the final video.
- Creepy Child: Sam as a child, thanks to the poor treatment he received from his parents, lead for him to be quite messed up in the head. When met by a child psychologist, he is found in his room singing a children's song, and after killing him, the audience hears creepy child laughter.
- A Deadly Affair: Eric had an affair with his boss's wife Sue, which is told about in vlog files leaked by The Codemaster. The details aren't elaborated upon, but it's heavily implied that as a result of the affair, either he or Sue committed murder after they realized her husband had cameras all over the house. Who died isn't revealed, but it's mentioned that Eric had to deal with police interrogations and that Sue blamed him for what happened.
- Dog Food Diet: The audience was allowed to choose what single solid food Eric could eat that would contain enough nutrients for him to survive. The answer was dry cat food.
- Domestic Abuse: Eric's father, in addition to abusing him, also abused his wife, shown by how afraid she was to go against his word.
- Freudian Excuse: The last upload reveals Sam's motivation for his kidnapping, murdering and torture is that his parents were horribly abusive to the point of driving him mad.
- Nice Guy: In the personal vlogs, Eric comes off as one of these, being a kind, if irresponsible, young man who cared deeply for his lover Sue even when things took a turn for the worst.
- Self-Made Orphan: Sam killed his parents after snapping thanks to their abusive nature.
- Serial Killer: Sam has been murdering and torturing people since the 70s- Eric is merely his first victim posted on the internet.
- Sleeping with the Boss's Wife: Eric was revealed to have done this through a series of vlogs his captor, The Codemaster, found on his computer and shared with YouTube. Who initiated it and what happened after the affair is unclear, but what is clear is that it ended with a death and it is why The Codemaster is targetting Eric.
- Themed Aliases: The Codemaster's aliases- Sam Deercot and, briefly, Tom D. Caesar, were both anagrams of The Codemaster. Of course, "The Codemaster" is an alias in and of itself.
- Too Desperate to Be Picky: Eric gets so hungry and thirsty while he's trapped that he scarfs down the cat food and drinks bleached pond-water, despite the humiliation and risk. It's especially dangerous because the "menu" was chosen by the viewers; if he was given the wrong thing, it'd kill him anyway.
- Troll: Sam Deercot enjoyed messing with both Eric and the audience, proven by how he gleefully torments Eric while also misleading the audience on occasion.