Lost in the Static is a Freeware Platform Game by Silver Spaceship Software. The game is unique as its graphics are composed entirely of static fuzz. By animating the static in different ways at different places, it becomes possible to distinguish various pieces of scenery. The game itself has no plot, consisting only of a stickman traversing various places while avoiding dangerous objects.
Tropes appearing in Lost in the Static:
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Touching a harmful object will make the player character explode, and then be sent back to the start of the screen.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Bats, fruits in a tree and piles of junk are all lethal to the player.
- Excuse Plot: You are a stickman. Keep going to the right until the game closes.
- No Ending: After passing the giant, you get a bunch of extremely easy screens. At the last one, the static starts moving faster and faster, until it is impossible to distinguish anything. Then the black dots in the static start getting lighter and lighter until you have a blank screen, and then the game closes.
- Shout-Out: One of the screens is extremely similar to the first level from Donkey Kong
- Super Drowning Skills: Some of the harmful things can be deduced to be bodies of water.
- Warp Zone: In the fourth screen, there is a passage to the left that takes you to the third screen and allows you to walk under some levels.