- Box Office Bomb: Budget: $5 million. Box office: $3.6 million. Had executive producer Steven Spielberg kept his name in the credits (he apparently didn't want to be associated with teen comedies), it may well have given it the extra boost it desperately needed.
- California Doubling: Inverted. Set in California, but largely filmed in Ogden, Utah. Ogden High School, with its very distinctive Art Deco architecture, is such a memorable part of the film, it's even included in the poster.
- Dawson Casting:
- The actors playing Buddy and Jerry were both 25 at the time of filming. They look it.
- The majority of the cast look like they're around college age than high school age.
- Goes to extreme with one of the extras during the fight. Soon after Buddy knocks Vince out, the camera spins around, showing the crowd of students. One of them is played by balding, 40-something guy. What makes him really stand out is how he constantly looks at the camera crane, making him all that more visible in the crowd.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Clothes, hair, cars, school subcultures... they all point out the middle end of the 80s.
- Vindicated by Cable: Disappeared from theaters quickly, but gained a cult via cable and home video.
Trivia / Three O'Clock High