In the future, Humanity suffers from an unexpected and unexplained breakdown in the ability to reproduce offspring.
No children have been born in the 6 years prior to the start of the series, with the last 6 of them being treated as national treasures.
After years of experimentation, a scientist has managed to fertilize 100 eggs in a lab, which the president has decided to give to 100 people through a national lottery.
Enter into this: a fertility doctor who has managed to fertilize 100 random eggs, and the father of one of the aforementioned children, who has just kidnapped him to keep him out of the government's hands.
To top it off, we have a mysterious government conspiracy to keep the fertilized eggs from their natural mothers.
This sci-fi show is shown on Lifetime in the US. It has a lot of spoilers that are currently unmarked, as it would take up the entire page.
Not to be confused with "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.
This series provides examples of:
- Baby Factory: 100 women will be selected to carry fertilized eggs to birth.
- Big Brother Is Watching: As part of the Government Conspiracy.
- Government Conspiracy: To ensure the military keeps power over the Population Control, they murder a natural mother before she could receive her zygote.
- Population Control: Two varieties:
- The disease, stopping all forms of birth, effectively putting a maximum on the population.
- The government controls all effective fertilizations.