The first part of the episode serves as a recap of Season 2 and the Synchro Arc up to this point. During the recap, the Executive Council confirms they knew Jean-Michel Roget was from Academia, and were using him and Reiji as part of a Xanatos Gambit — if the Lancers proved strong enough to defend the City, the Council would side with Reiji, otherwise they would use Roget to form an alliance with Academia.
The Council attempts to take Dennis into custody, and are halted by Security, who received the same order from Roget. The Council guards inform Security that Roget has been stripped of his command, but before either of them can act, Dennis' duel disk activates and teleports him away. Roget, furious at the Council, activates the emergency protocol "King's Gambit." Mind-control devices take control of all Security officers, and they invade the Council chambers. Roget reveals he is no longer of Academia, and seeks to rule the City on his own, and is taking control of it from the Council. All that remains is to depose Jack Atlas, the current symbol of hope and power for the city, in the Friendship Cup. Roget offers Reiji an alliance against Akaba Leo and Academia, but Reiji refuses. In private, Leo reflects his concern now is if Academia finds out both Serena and Yuzu are here, as they will surely invade if they do.
Dennis awakens with Sora in Commons. Sora tells him that Leo sent him to secure Serena and Yuzu, and since Dennis is too weak to fight in his condition, Sora sends him back to the Fusion Dimension. In the Fusion Dimension, Leo speaks to Barrett about Dennis' report, and makes preparations for him to lead Obelisk Force to the Synchro Dimension to capture Serena and Yuzu. Leo also wants to send Yuri, but Barrett assures him he can do it on his own.
As morning dawns, Yuya and Yuzu think about the next four duels happening today, and reaffirm the vows made in Yuya's letter. Roget observes Yuzu and tells Sergey that he sees Yuzu and Serena as trump cards against Academia. Sergey will be Yuzu's opponent, and he is to bring her to Roget when he wins.
This episode provides example of:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Security, once "King's Gambit" has been activated.
- The Bus Came Back: Barrett returns after his last appearance in episode 40. Leo Akaba also makes an appearance.
- Clip Show: In traditional Arc-V fashion, the concept is twisted. While the first half of the episode is largely recycled footage, the narration is used to further the plot and expand on character motives.
- Dramatic Irony: Practically lampshaded by Roget; City runs on a "survival of the strongest" mentality, those that can take power take it from those who can't keep it. So it is that he and Security overthrow the Council.
- Mind-Control Device: How Jean-Michel Roget controls all of Security. They have chips implanted into their brains.
- Not So Stoic:
- Jean-Michel Roget is furious that the Council has dared to take away his authority, causing him to set "King's Gambit" into play.
- Roget throws a bit of a tantrum once he has turned off the broadcast to the Council chamber thanks to Reiji's refusal and slight.
- Put on a Bus: Dennis has been shipped back to Academia and is no longer part of the Lancers.
- Recap Episode: The first half of this episode is a recap of the Synchro Dimension arc. However, the narration provides new information about the motivations of Jean-Michel Roget and the Council.
- Ship Tease: Yuzu has memorized Yuya's letter from 3 episodes previous. How many times did she read that thing?
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: When Roget offers Reiji the chance to work with him, Reiji declines and mocks Roget for dreaming too small in wanting to take over only one city.
- Slasher Smile: Sergey gets a really, really creepy one in the closing shot of this episode.
- Take Over the World: Or City, in any case. Jean-Michel Roget deserted Fusion and now seeks to supplant the Council and Jack. Reiji actually criticizes him for only targeting a city instead of the world.
- Villainous Rescue: Roget attempts one for Dennis. Sora actually accomplishes it.
- We Can Rule Together: Roget offers this to Reiji on the basis that he knows Reiji is Leo Akaba's son and hates his father. Quickly followed by Reiji's Shut Up, Hannibal!.
- Wham Episode:
- Roget, having had enough of the Executive Council overriding his power, pulls a coup d'etat taking over the City by using brainwashed Security. He reveals that while he is from the Fusion Dimension, he's no longer part of the Academia.
- Xanatos Gambit: The Council was attempting one. If Reiji's Lancers proved strong enough to protect City, they would choose to rely on them. If not, they were going to use Roget's connections to Academia to form an alliance for protection. They're foiled by the fact that Roget is a deserter of Academia.