Jim acquires a magical gewgaw that stops time in order to get the magic ring off Strickler. But his human life and his Trollhunter duties force him to use it rather differently than intended.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Breakable Weapons: The Kairosect has specific rules: It can only be used by one person to stop time at a time. It lasts for precisely 43 minutes nine seconds and no more; and it can only be used three times...two of which Blinky used in the process of determining how the thing works and demonstrating its use to the team.
- Flashback: We get to see a younger Angor Rot bargain with an ancient sorceress for power to fight Gunmar. As she takes his soul and makes him her servant, he realizes he's made a Deal with the Devil.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Angor Rot has had the same glowing yellow eyes as pretty much every troll and changeling up until the ring holding his soul is destroyed with his soul still in it. Once his soul is gone altogether, his eyes glow a cold and eerie white.
- Hope Spot: For Angor when the ring containing his soul shatters, it seems for just a moment that he will get his soul back... and then it vanishes.
- Limited-Use Magical Device: The Kairosect can only be used three times. Blinky ends up wasting it twice demonstrating it to the group and Jim is forced to use it to save Claire from an oncoming car.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: It was ambiguous as to what Angor Rot would do once Jim delivered the Inferna Copula to him, whether he'd actually leave Jim alone or continue hunting him. When Jim tries to use the Inferna Copula to control him and the ring and Angor Rot's soul ends up being destroyed in the ensuing fight, a furious Angor Rot decides to kill Jim once and for all.
- Oh, Crap!: Groggy from his dentist visit, Strickler doesn't realize he's without the ring until he rubs his jaw with the hand that usually has the ring on it. Just as he realizes what that means, the sun sets and Angor Rot appears in Strickler's rearview mirror.
- Soul Jar: The ring that Strickler had been wearing until Jim stole it. Angor, in his eagerness to get it back from Jim, strikes the ring with his sword, destroying both it and his soul.
- Time-Freeze Trolling Spree: Blinky uses the Kairosect a second time to demonstrate what he did by re-positioning everyone and everything in the room. When Jim uses it later in the episode, he takes takes time out of taking care of his laundry-list of things he needs to do during his brief moment out of time (saving Claire from an incoming truck, finishing his Spanish test, stealing the Inferno Copula, etc.) to mess with Steve's book stacking and loogie in Strickler's open mouth during his dentist appointment.
- Time Stands Still: The Kairosect, the magic thing that stops time.