With Fluttershy having left Ponyville on "Bearer Business", somepony has to look after her menagerie of animals until she returns. As always, Snowflake is her first choice to take over, a job he's happy to handle... except for one little thing.
See, almost all of the animals at Fluttershy's like Snowflake. But one animal takes exception to him. One animal thinks it's his right, even his obligation, to harass and torment the substitute caretaker.
Angel Bunny. The bane of Snowflake's existence.
Read it here.
Tropes found in this story include:
- Body Horror: The explanation about how pegasi and unicorn foals are born with "caps", hard translucent material that veils their otherwise inequine bodily protrusions. If the cap somehow fails to develop in the womb, then the birth goes... poorly. Capless unicorns usually result in Death by Childbirth, as the horn rips open their mother's uterus and birth canal in the process. Capless pegasi foals, however, usually die; the force of the contractions can potentially crush fragile newborn wings, sometimes driving slivers of bone deep through the muscle of the back and into the torso. Snowflake is a capless birth who survived thanks to the intervention of Dr. Gentle Arrival.
- Gentle Giant: Despite his immense strength and powerful build, Snowflake really doesn't want to hurt anyone. It's why most of the other animals care for and respect him, but also why Angel feels he can get away with mocking Snowflake.
- Handicapped Badass: Snowflake's wings were incurably damaged at birth. And he found a way to fly anyway.
- Hate Sink: In-Universe, Snowflake despises Sweetbark, Ponyville's official vet, for the way she shamelessly takes advantage of Fluttershy's kindness to try to keep her own record as a healer absolutely perfect.
- Meaningful Name: Snowflake was named because of how unlikely it seemed that he would survive more than a day after being born.
- Beautiful. Delicate. Destined to vanish under the next touch of Sun as if he had never been.
- Too Dumb to Live: Angel Bunny's insistence on harassing Snowflake. Even though Snowflake hates the thought of abusing his strength, that does not change the fact that A: Angel is a tiny rabbit, and B: Snowflake is a big muscular pony who even outshines some earth ponies in the physical prowess department. Just one bad moment and Snowflake could accidentally kill the rabbit. (Snowflake is aware that on some level, Angel's taking out his displeasure on Fluttershy's departures on the substitute caretaker, the same way many dogs will wreck the house when they feel their owner's been gone too long. However, understanding the source doesn't do anything to stop the games.)
- Taken Up to Eleven when Angel, at one point, climbs up on Snowflake's back and nearly rips out one of the pony's earrings with his teeth!
- This one probably has to be explained. Angel starts by gnawing at the earring, which startles Snowflake enough to try and swing his head to get it out of the rabbit's reach. Angel, however, clamps down — and winds up being whipped off Snowflake's back, which leaves the pegasus with the full weight of an adult male rabbit hanging off his ear, and there's absolutely nothing which can be done to increase ear strength. In the end, it stretches out the earring hole enough to produce some blood.