Return to Recap: The Smurfs
Vanity finds himself bored with the lack of style in his wardrobe, so he goes to Tailor for help, only to find that nothing he has for new clothes really suits him. Then Vanity finds a yellow hat out in the forest and tries it on for size. He seems to like how it looks...and then things start to go downhill for him once he starts washing his face and his face disfigures. Papa Smurf discovers that Vanity's new hat is made from magic fabric created by Gargamel, so he has his little Smurfs make a similar hat for the evil wizard to wear in order to force him to come up with the antidote.
This episode provides examples of
- Berserk Button: Don't tell Tailor how to make Smurf clothes if you're anyone besides Papa Smurf!
- Can't Take Criticism: Tailor.
- Clingy Costume: Vanity's new yellow hat won't come off once he gets it wet, and neither does the hat made of the same fabric for Gargamel.
- Facial Horror: For Vanity and Gargamel, at least to the level that a children's cartoon show of that nature would display.
- Get Out!: Tailor yells this to Vanity when he starts suggesting different styles of clothes.
- Got Volunteered: When Papa Smurf asks for volunteers for go with him to Gargamel's lair to get a sample of the magic fabric and none of the Smurfs step forward, he chooses a few Smurfs to go with him.
- House of Broken Mirrors: What Vanity turns his house into after he sees how disfigured his face becomes.
- Limited Wardrobe: All of Tailor's hats that he gives to Vanity to try out are basically the same type of hat despite being treated as if they are different.
- Rage Against the Reflection: Vanity smashes all the mirrors in his house once he sees how disfigured he becomes after wearing the new hat.