Grouchy Smurf hates everything ... especially being touched and hugged against his will.
So when Hug-a-Smurf Day comes calling, Grouchy does everything he can to run from his fellow Smurfs, in their attempt to get him to show an emotion other than grouchiness.
But when Chlohydrous attacks the Smurfs' friend, the Ice Wand Fairy, and it wipes emotions from the face of the earth, it could be a hug from ironically enough Grouchy, that is needed to save the Smurfs from perpetual emotionless, frozen state.
For now, they're just trying to make "A Hug For Grouchy."
Annoyed at the Ice Wand Fairy for her perpetual happiness and love, Chlohydrous casts a spell on her to turn her wand into an instrument of emotion destruction. No happiness, sorrow or love ... only stoic unlove.
Eventually, the Fairy is able to strike birds, squirrels and then the Smurfs. Papa Smurf researches the phenomenon and realizes that the wand's effects can be broken only if its current holder is hugged by a confirmed grouch by sunset (or the spells effects are permanent) ... but Grouchy balks because he hates hugs.
But he starts to realize he might have to be the hero when the Ice Wand Fairy uses her wand to zap Papa Smurf, and then attempts to go after Baby Smurf. Baby, however, is immune to the altered Fairy's wand's effects, and this distracts the Ice Wand Fairy long enough for Smurfette who, along with Grouchy, has dodged all the attempts to strike her into an emotionless state to urge Grouchy to hug the Fairy and reverse the spell's effects.
Grouchy finally relents and hugs the Fairy ... and indeed, the spell is broken and love and happiness are restored. Chlohydrous is cursing her latest failure when the wand somehow magically appears in her lair, where it destroys a Heart of Ice that she was preparing to spread all over the world, before the wand itself magically disappears, leaving Chlohydrous a blubbering failure once more.
Back at the Smurf Village, the Smurfs and the Ice Wand Fairy are celebrating Hug-a-Smurf Day, and several Smurfs finally tackle Grouchy, who finally gives in and lets them hug him ... grouchily, of course!
Tropes seen in this episode:
- Broken Aesop: You should share your feelings with others...by violating their feelings when it comes to being touched.
- Cuddle Bug: Most of the Smurfs except for Grouchy.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The stalking that the Smurfs go on to force a hug on Grouchy seems like a "family-friendly" version of gang rape.
- Emotion Suppression and The Stoic: The goal of Chlohydrous' latest scheme ... to wipe emotions from the face of the earth.
- Fictional Holiday: Hug-a-Smurf Day.
- Hates Being Touched: Despite his objections, Papa Smurf encourages the others to hug Grouchy, in an effort to show emotion other than grouchiness, to the point where other Smurfs actually stalk him for unwanted touching.