Ryan, Seth, Marissa and Summer plan an end-of-summer trip down to Tijuana, Mexico (aka: the TJ). Luke wants to tag along with them to try to get back together with Marissa, but she later changes her mind about him when she catches Luke making the moves on Holly Fischer. Back in Newport, Jimmy has plans of his own to get out of his financial and legal problems, which don't sit well with Marissa or Julie. Sandy gets a new job at a large prestigious law firm, which Kirsten can't understand.
This episode contains examples of:
- Accidental Cuddling: Ryan and Marissa wake up spooning.
- Bridal Carry: Ryan carries Marissa after finding her unconscious in an alley.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Seth for Summer.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Sandy continually jokes with corporate lawyer friend Bonnie about this. Kristen reveals that Sandy has called that firm "evil empires controlled by corporate interest, owned by the man."
- Falling into His Arms: Jimmy thinks its this when he catches Kristen after she falls from a ladder; she doesn't appear to think so.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Averted. Summer suggests splitting up and Ryan turns it down.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Seth and Summer, both reading the newspaper at breakfast, comfortably share food in silence. They appear disgusted when they realize how casually they were acting together.
- Male Gaze: Female dancers at the club in Tijuana.
- Sneaky Departure: Marissa gives Summer, and by extension Ryan and Seth, the slip.
- There Is Only One Bed: Could have been averted, in that the motel room actually has TWO beds- but both Seth and Summer insist on using the bed rather than the pull-out couch leaving them in this situation. Marissa and Ryan subsequently end up sharing a bed as well.
- Troubled, but Cute: Summer describes Ryan's troubled qualities and then admits that's what she likes about him.
- Unstoppable Rage: Summer claims this. She calls it "rage blackouts."