Season 1 Episode 06:
Forking PathsAs the group continues its search for the final movement, a startling turn of events gives Hap's work a new urgency.
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Above Good and Evil: Hap's colleague, Leon Citro, believes this. He only cares about profit and doesn't care about trying to differentiating between good and evil.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with two.
- The sheriff sees what's on Hap's monitors and pulls a gun on him.
- Buck's father shuts the front door. It's not clear what will happen since the OA insists that her followers need to leave their front doors open.
- Dimensional Traveler: Invoked. The NDE group is trying to travel across dimensions to escape Hap.
- Everyone Has Standards: While Hap is an immoral kidnapper, he still risks exposing himself to free his late rival's test subjects.
- Evil vs. Evil: Leon tries to threaten Hap into revealing what the NDE know about dimension travel at gunpoint, resulting in a brawl in the hospital morgue. Hap ends up drowning Leon in a strange purple fluid.
- Failed a Spot Check: Hap didn't notice the sheriff walking into his home because he was distracted listening to the recording he got from the OA's last NDE.
- Hypocrite: The OA points out that if Hap thought his experiments were really worth all of the suffering, he'd put himself through them.
- Self-Harm: The NDE group scar themselves with symbols representing the movements.
- Title Drop: This phrase is how Hap describes his theory of dimension travel to his colleague.
- Toplessness from the Back: This is how the OA shows the empty house crew the scars on her back.
- True Companions: The NDE group has developed into this. The OA notes that despite their captivity, they had each other, while Hap was totally alone.
- We Can Rule Together: Hap offers to take the OA wherever she wants to go as long she agrees to be his partner. Predictably, she refuses. She reminds him that's she is not his friend, just his slave.